Chapter 1: December 2nd, 2350 AD

Space.....the vacuum of nothingness. Yet, even as we stand in the darkness, the twinkling lights of billions of stars fill the void. Like beacons, they are lighthouses in an area supposedly devoid of life.

How does such a system operate like this? Space is devoid of almost anything. There is so little in matter that it makes it difficult for anything to form. Space is literally too large. The universe that we come from wasn't like this when we first came into existence. The....Big Bang....as the humans like to call it, was an explosion where their perception of the laws of physics was ultimately created. Indeed, we had our own system of similar laws. However, billions of Earth years ago, space hadn't expanded to the size that it is now.

As we stand floating in space, we see a cluster of small stars in our view. It is magnified and altered, so we can see many of them in our focal range. The one that causes the greatest attraction of our view is the set of two glowing yellow stars. A single red dwarf star circulates around the binary stars. The humans call this system Proxima due to the close proximity to their home system. Even then, despite the abundance of worlds that revolve around them, humans would see a vast range of nothingness before reaching such a place. Space is like that. Most civilizations, like humans, had a daunting task ahead of them. Everything is distanced apart that it almost seems nigh. As the caretakers of the universe, we truly understand the dilemma that is left behind for each species in their survival. Most never make it, doomed by the hubris of their own civilization or due to the inevitable demise of their homes from outside phenomena. The gift that we leave behind is the only means necessary to help ensure their survival.

Yet, with so much distance between objects in a realm of little, it may surprise you how much activity does occur in the vacuum of space. The humans had said it best long ago. The chances of getting killed by a meteor impact are 1 in 700,000, given the person's lifetime and the corresponding mass of the impact of the said meteor. However, even such a statement is not without its criticism. Indeed, it is present that humans really don't have a definitive account that meteors or meteorites have led to any fatalities. Some claim that some humans have died from falling meteorites, while other reports claim that no data on such events have ever occurred. Yet, the galaxy has seen its share of collisions. Despite all the space available, two objects will eventually hit each other. The amount of force applied between the two objects depends on their mass, composition, and force applied to each other. The angle at which the two hit one another, and gravity also play significant roles. Other outside forces can also affect how impacts can occur.

Collisions are a surprising factor in why life exists in the universe. Two objects meeting one another is why we thrive. It is why the Itreans exist. However, it may come with a price. In one foul strike, a single asteroid millions of Earth years ago would lead to the demise of many of the dinosaurs. Indeed, it almost led to the end of any possible civilization to ever rise from such a hostile action.

Yet, we already know that the Itreans rose from such a catastrophe. They learned to adapt and move forward, leaving their homeworld to find another place to live. In their place, it would lead to the eventual rise of the human race that we seem so well determined to observe.

Collisions....it is the act of two objects determined to eventually meet one another. This can be as something simple as two rocks that ram into each other, a fist going into the cranium of an opponent, or sperm finding an egg to fertilize. Every act of collision can have the greatest of consequences. Its results can be minor, but eventually, it may lead to significant future events. Those two tiny rocks may collide, shattering debris in all directions, at which point they will fly to Proxima and smash upon their planets' surfaces. With it are the building blocks for life to evolve. All because of this simple act.