Making Plans & Placing Blame

When Hester returned to her dormitory to get dressed before breakfast, you and Lesso made your way to the Headmaster's tower.

"Do you think Storian will tell you what's going on, even if she knows?" Lesso asked as she strode alongside you.

The speed with which you were walking toward the tower was causing your cloak and Lesso's coat to whip in the wind behind you.

"I don't know, but it's worth a shot." You said in a determined tone. "If anyone is going to know something about Sophie's dreams, it's Storian."

"But we looked for her here last night. We asked Storian if she'd seen her and she said no." Lesso replied, as you started up the stairs.

"I still have to try," you answered.

You pushed the heavy wooden doors open to the Headmaster's tower. Before you could say a word, Storian called to you from her pedestal.

"Did you find Sophie?"

"No," Lesso responded as you both moved to her pedestal. "We're still looking."

"Hmm," she hummed. "Troubling."

"What's troubling?" Lesso asked, as you both whirled around to face her.

"After you left, I attempted to extend my reach; to see if I could sense her beyond the school grounds. I could not." Storian responded.

You looked at Lesso. That was troubling indeed. If Storian couldn't find her, it was unlikely that the professors could.

"She had the same dream," you said, changing the subject.

Storian turned to face you, "Yes."

You threw your hands up in exasperation. "Did you know?"

Storian took a moment to respond. "Not initially, but I recently became aware."

"How?" Lesso asked, coming around to stand with you.

"That I cannot say," Storian responded.

Lesso huffed in annoyance. "Great."

You placed your hand on her shoulder to calm her down. She was not as used to Storian's cryptic nature as you were.

"It's okay," you said softly. "Thank you Storian. We'll let you return to your duties." You bowed your head and began to move away from her.

"That's it?" Lesso whispered, as you pulled her away from the pedestal.

"Yes," you whispered back, "She told us a lot."

"How? She told us nothing," Lesso spat back, annoyed with the useless quill.

"She told us she eventually became aware of the dream but didn't know about it initially. That most likely means she didn't find out about it until after Sophie and I stopped coming together." You replied to her. "And she most likely couldn't tell us how she found out because it was probably Sophie who told her; and she can't tell us anything that will change or affect the story."

Lesso knit her eyebrows together. "Okay, that's a stretch but I'll bite. Why would Sophie tell her? And when would she have come to the tower without a chaperone? Students know they're not supposed to do that."

"I don't know." You replied. "Maybe it was after she visited me?"

Lesso huffed. "Perhaps, but without Storian being able to give us a straight answer, and without anyone else seeing her, we'll never know."

You sighed. "You're right...I guess this wasn't as helpful as I thought it was going to be."

"It's okay," Lesso replied, as she moved to place her hand on your shoulder. "We've got so much running through our minds, it was a good thought."