The Train

Mary POV:

    I've been waiting two hours for them, just sitting here at the station. Hopefully everything is going alright, I've already missed my actual train. I had to buy tickets for another one arriving at 1 P.M. I just hope they make it here earlier. I fidgeted with my thumbs over and over, patiently waiting, but my patience is getting very thin, and I'm starting to worry if Arthur strayed off. 

Arthur POV:

I honestly can't believe the kid strayed off. I mean, who am I kidding? He's just a kid who has lost his way in life and needs to be herded into the right way. Like sheep, NOT TURTLES- like those chelonian nutcases. Mary was right, they are mad. I finally caught up to Jamie, but a train crossed between us.

"Jamie! You don't know what you're doing!" I tried to convince him to get off his horse, in between each of the train cars moving I saw Jamie jump off his horse. 

"You can't tell me what to do! I've found people, Arthur! People that actually care about me! I've found a new life, new ways of living! You need to accept that!" Jamie was now basically ranting, I ignored most of it except the end.

"I'm- I don't wanna live anymore Arthur!" Jamie was serious, he was crying and shaking. He pulled a gun out of his satchel and stuck it up to his head.

"Jamie, don't!" I reached to look through the train cars, I looked at how far the train was going to be, and how long it would take to end, perhaps to disarm Jamie before he does something he regrets. The last car of the train crossed at the perfect time, as Jamie was going to pull the trigger I aimed my gun, took a deep breath, and shot his hand. 

    Jamie flinched and dropped the gun. 

"You fool, now come back to your sister. She's terribly worried." I don't know how many times I had to say that, but I fear that it doesn't matter to him. I picked him up by his arms and sat him on the back of my horse, and mounted. 

"I- I don't know why I felt like that, Arthur. I honestly wanted to leave forever." Jamie apologised for his foolish ways and the rest of the ride was basically silent. 

"Arthur, are you and Mary sweet on one another again?" My heart sank, I want to think that we are, but we just can't. There's something in the way of us ever becoming a "thing" again. 

"Erm-" The question startled me for a second. "We aren't, no. I just wanted to do something to help you. That's all." I said, even though I was lying, I can't involve young Jamie in all this nasty business of the on and off relationship. "Well look, here we are. Now go see your sister." I stayed on my horse as Jamie hopped off. 

"Arthur, I wanna thank you." Jamie admitted, "I do hope you and Mary get back together." 

"It uh- would be nice." I smiled and leaned on the pommel of my horse's saddle. 

"Aren't you coming Arthur?" Jamie suggested. 

"I guess I can, sure..." I leaped off the horse and put my arm around Jamie as we walked into the train station. I scanned the station for Mary, she was sitting on a wooden bench in the right hand corner of the station. The light of the window shone on her face so gracefully as she was gazing out of the window. I blushed, and told Jamie to tap her on the shoulder to get her attention. He didn't even need to, while he was walking towards Mary she turned her head, she had to take two glances at her little brother to verify that he was actually standing there, and that she wasn't hallucinating. 

"Jamie!!" She yelled out, "Oh Jamie, don't leave ever again!" Mary gave Jamie a hug and stared gratefully at me with her beautiful brown eyes the whole time. "Thank you so much Arthur. I don't- I don't know how to repay you." She hugged me while I said nothing, I just soaked it all in, for this could be the last time I ever see her again. I carried her bags out to the train platform as she held the door for me. 

"How romantic Mr. Morgan." She blushed and giggled, "I don't even know how to thank you." She held both her hands down, and swayed, her dress just barely scraping the floor every which way she went. We shared a flirtatious gaze before the train whistle blew. 

"Well uhm- I have to go, or I'll miss this train too." She laughed, God I love her laugh. I love everything about her to be honest. She leaned in and I assumed she would kiss me, but she gave me a hug. The sweet smell of her perfume and the soft fabric of her dress was something to remember. The train whistle blew again and the conductor yelled, "all aboard!" I still tried to hold Mary as she pulled away to get on the train. 

"I guess this is goodbye Arthur. I- uhm. Yeah." Mary said while holding on to the rail to get on the train. 

"Yeah, erm, goodbye Mary." I waved as the train pulled away slowly. It was like someone ripped my heart out that slow. We locked eyes for what it seemed to be the last time. She waved with her handkerchief out the train window. My eyes filled with tears as I walked back into the station. 

Word count: 941