Chapter 4: The Omen

The next morning, Maple visited Honeysuckle in the herb den. He had his own little nest in the middle of the den, reinforced with moss from Pine Marten's own nest. Pine Marten had insisted, tucking more and more moss around Honeysuckle until the kitten was barely visible. It looked incredibly comfortable.

"Oh, hey Maple!" Ravenwing stood up as she entered. His tail stood straight up, and he paced in place nervously. He looked embarrassed.

Maple stared at him, confused. "Hi, Ravenwing. Is something wrong?"

Ravenwing's mouth opened, then he shut it, and walked over to sit next to Maple. Maple also sat down. What is his problem?

"Er, right. So last night a warrior who wants to be anonymous came and spoke to me about you and your kits..." he started, shifting his paws restlessly, "um, before I say anything else, I want to remind you that as the Colony druid, you can tell me anything."

"I know, Ravenwing," Maple sighed.

Ravenwing didn't seem to notice her annoyance and continued, "so, this warrior, they expressed a concern about the father of the kits?"

Maple rolled her eyes.

"Hey, don't roll your eyes at me!" Ravenwing squeaked, "Maple, I want to help you, honest! If something is happening, it'd be better to tell me than anything else."

Silence hung in the air. Ravenwing's paws were nervously kneading Honeysuckle's moss bed, and he avoided looking her in the eye.

"I don't expect you to understand," Maple began carefully, "but they are Birch's kits. Honestly and truly, he is the only cat I've ever loved. However..." she paused again, trying to make her next words make her look as good as possible, "Birch was killed by Applestem, and if I can convince Applestem that they are his kits, maybe he will exile himself, or get exiled, in revenge for Birch." Saying it out loud made it sound bad. Whoops. Ravenwing had stopped kneading. Maple shot another glance at Ravenwing, but his eyes were guarded.

From outside the den was a flurry of noise: thuds of a whole patrol returning in a hurry.

"Pine Marten! Pine Marten!"

"Pine Marten!"

Instinctively, Maple and Ravenwing raced out to see what was happening. Dapple stood in the center of the camp, flanks heaving. The rest of the patrol stood around her, catching their breath.

Pine Marten emerged from the leader's den, fur messy, as if he had just woken up. "What's going on?" He bellowed.

Bloom took a breath and stepped forward. "We found an unknown scent near camp." Cats erupted into whispers.

"Quiet!" Spring yowled. Pine Marten flicked his tail towards the elder appreciatively.

"How close to camp?" Bumblebee asked, eyes narrowed.

"A few tail lengths," Bloom explained, "near the nursery."

Pine Marten, Spring and Bumblebee exchanged worried glances. Pine Marten flicked his tail to Bloom and the four disappeared into the leader's den. The rest of the patrol dissolved back with the rest of the Colony.

"There is something in the nursery that does not belong," Ravenwing's voice was uncharacteristically calm.

"What?" Maple had forgotten the small druid had been standing beside her.

Ravenwing turned to look at her with a wide, blank gaze. He looked dead. "There is something in the nursery that does not belong. StarColony has spoken."