The Search

After two weeks of searching and booking appointments, Jade later found a job at J & B petroleum Station. She was happy when her salary was increased because of her credentials. With her new job, she could at least cover her due debts that choked her and manage the remaining change for her upkeep.

        She was already dressed for work in a black jean and plain t-shirt when the rain started lightly. She took an umbrella and rushed out of the house to catch a bike. The atmosphere was cloudy with thunder claps. People were running trying to find shelter from the downpour. She quickly called a bike, climbed it and they zoomed off.

The moment they got to her destination,she alighted and gave the bike man an hundred naira note.

"Madam, your money nah Two fifty" he called her back.

Okada drivers and their greediness.

She turned back " Two fifty ke ? From the junction to this point at most is one hundred and fifty naira. Calm down oga, I no be JJC for this neighborhood."

"I no know say you sabi like this o, you con dey look like ajebo." The bike man drove off.

Some okada drivers in Lagos were always known to be greedy set of human beings . They loved trying their luck whenever they saw new faces around the area by charging exorbitantly . She went into the station to mark the night shift attendance and changed to the company wear. By the time she came out, the clouds were already clearing .

What a confused weather .

She was seating at her station gisting with her colleague when a car honked . She stood to attend to the customer and signaled to the person to wind down.

" Good evening, ma'am. Welcome to J&B petrol station. How much fuel would you like to buy?" She did not bother looking at the customer and opened the fuel tank.

" Just fill it up." The lady in the car said while texting on her phone.

Despite the country's economy and struggle, some people were actually making it big time!

"Okay ma." She fixed the nozzle into the fuel tank and filled it up.

"Cash,transfer or POS ma'am?" The lady removed her sunshade and looked at her.

"Wow. Just wow. Jadesola?!" The lady got down from the car.

She turned back to look at the lady. She was definitely dressed to be addressed as a rich babe with the  fitted body com dress,nude heel matching her bag and an iphone 13 flashing from her hand.

This lady was the full definition of " when you're big, you're big abeg"

" How did you end up here despite all your good grade in school?"She used her powered nail to flip her bone straight aside.

"Excuse me but have we met before ?" She was getting embarrassed.

" It's Bisola, the social prefect in secondary school then. You should be able to recognize me."Bisola turned around to give her a 360 view.

"Oh,Bisola! It's been a long time. How have you been?" She smiled awkwardly and extended her hand to shake her.

She had never expected that life would disgraced her this way.

Never !

"I'm living large as you can see." She turned round and faced her."Sorry but is this what first class could get you ?" Bisola looked at her from head to toe still avoiding her hand.

It was like her mouth was sealed and she kept on looking.

" I'm not trying to insult you Jade, I'm just stating fact as you can see right ?"

This was see finish at it's highest peak.

Reality kicked in and she realized they were no longer in the same status.

She dropped her hand as there was obviously no need for familiarity."The debit card please. I have other important things to attend to."

If she was ever told life would be this unfair, she would have outrightly denied it.

"You've not answered my question." She gave her the debit card.

"I'll pretend I never heard you. You should never look down on people ." She removed the charges from the card.

"You're still rude as usual. Anyways, a friend of mine needs a maid. You should apply". She threw a card on the floor.

"I'm happy and content with my job ."

Happy indeed.

"Take it else where dear,your younger relatives might need it. " She also threw the debit card on the floor and left to attend to the next customer.

〰️♣️♠️

The tears came willingly on their own the moment she got to the restroom. She never planned her life this way. Everything that could make her climbed the ladder of success,Jade did it. She was brilliant and so devoted to her studies back then. She never mixed her studies with pleasure, she had all aspects of her life planned,prepared and was perfectly performed with her coming out with a first class in Accounting.

  Jadesola left the University of Ilorin bagging the best student of her set, the  best student of most of her courses and most especially, the best student the department had ever produced. She did her master's degree, her NYSC and was still standing tall in success. Her dreams so high and unending, she immediately expected job vacancies from different banks or firm but non appeared.

The saying "if Muhammad doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain will go to Muhammad" was what Jade applied.
She started visiting firms and banks with high hope of getting a job but to no avail. They were always happy with her credentials but always deny her of the job saying she "was not fit or perfect " for the job.

She had always wondered what was more perfect than her "kpali".

  She washed her face and looked at the mirror. She determined at that point to not let the terrible incident instigate her. She went back to her post standing tall ready to face her challenges all by herself then she saw the card. Being a maid was a big slap to her face but she had no choice . She picked the card on the floor and cleaned the dust on it. She knew it would be useful very soon.

☘️🌻☘️

Okayyyy people👋. How was your day?

I don't know how to hype my characters for real. Sorry for that.
So,what do you think about them?

If you were Jadesola, what would have been your reaction?

Let's be realistic.

Then to be on a safe side, I don't fancy exaggeration in my books, I prefer them being realistic to what we face in the real world and I also don't like rosy life at all( for my characters) to be precise. I love war, hardship,gbas gbos and rocky situation"ships" for them. I hope you don't feel bad for them because more embarrassing moments are going to be experienced, trust me 😌.

Tapping the star shaped below encourage writers a lot including me.

Let's vote, comment and share.

Feel free to make your opinion known in the comment section.

Thank you.

❤️Bambam.