Chapter 17

"What do you want for lunch? My treat."

Chione had brought him to the food court. A line consisting of various food stalls was placed on each side of the large, indoor plaza. Rows of tables and chairs occupied the space between the stalls, filled with couples and families alike. The sight of them made Ethan recall something he completely forgot about.

He was technically on a date.

After going to the stationary store, they visited some other places like the department store and the arcade. She even bought a pink colored dress, and he complimented her on it. She went red briefly after that compliment, but Ethan's brain wasn't functioning properly at that moment, so he didn't think much of it.

Now that his brain went back in full drive, he felt his cheeks getting hot just recalling what they did together that day.

It's an actual date!

He felt both funny and awkward as he only thought about it now.

"Hmm?"

Chione realized that he wasn't following her and returned to pick him up.

"Ah, it's nothing, so-"

Chioned reached out her hand and took his, dragging him around again. Like before, Ethan lost the strength to fight almost immediately.

"So, anything piques your interest?"

Ethan looked around. One of the food stalls caught his eye.

"I think I want some..."

The food stalls he was looking at sold steak, but he suddenly remembered that steaks tend to be expensive. He didn't want to be a burden to her by choosing the most expensive thing he could just because she offered a free meal.

"What is it?"

"... Nevermind."

He looked around, trying to search for something cheaper, but Chione took his hand and brought him to the steak stall anyway.

"One beef special, please. And you?"

Chione looked at Ethan. Ethan pondered his options. The beef special that she ordered was not cheap, but it wasn't particularly expensive, either. If this was in-game, if he was FireRock, he would definitely go for the same menu. It looked good at a decent price. He wanted it, but-

"Two beef specials, then."

"Alright, two beef specials coming right up."

The clerk wrote down their order and handed it to the kitchen. Chione brought out her phone and paid.

"Can you look for a place to sit?"

"Alright."

Ethan looked around and found an empty place not far from them. He sat down, Chione coming after him.

"Is it really alright?"

Ethan asked.

"Of course. Don't worry about it."

Chione replied with a rather cheerful smile. Ethan couldn't help but think about it at this point.

She's cute.

It never crossed his mind, despite him sitting right beside her for two entire months. He never interacted with her, and she looked way out of his league. Her friendly personality, cute smiles, kind nature, it all contrasted with him. He never even saw her that way, so now, of all times,

Why now?

He had feelings for her.

He was sure of it. He was feeling something he didn't expect to feel, not toward her. He tried to deny it earlier today, saying that he should just enjoy his time and not care about it, but now it came back for him. He couldn't run from his feelings. Maybe their constant meeting this week led him to this point, or maybe that other side of her that she showed him, it could be anything.