Chapter 6

It was the next day after Ainz and I had signed up as Adventurers at the Guild that we found ourselves making our way there again.

The weather is a bright sunny day, the warm rays of the Sun gently peering down from the sky and not a cloud in sight.

It was a beautiful day.

I, however, couldn't care less.

Sleeping in that cheap, dirty inn last night worked out exactly like how I thought it would.

Awful. In every way.

I let out a big yawn, making sure to cover my mouth and stretch out my arms once again in an effort to unstiffen my body after laying down in that rotting piece of wood called a bed.

"God, is this what it means to be a working adult? Waking up at the crack of dawn and feeling like death?" I moan at the black armoured figure next to me.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." Ainz tells me as we make our way to the Adventurers Guild, "Though I will admit, I hope to earn enough money to sleep someplace where the walls are thick enough so we don't hear everything from the other rooms."

"Momo, if you ever want to give up this Adventuring shtick, just let me know. I'm at least 99% sure we can do something else more productive." I tell Ainz who lets out a small snort.

"I'll keep that in mind, Lucard," Ainz replied, amusement evident in his tone and he pushes open the doors to the Adventurers Guild.

Once again, the first thing that greets us is the counter where three receptionists were dealing with various Adventurers. To our right was the large billboard filled with even more paper than before, most of it new. A group of Adventurers were talking in front of it, not able to decide upon a job.

Without missing a beat, Ainz and I walked towards one of the freed up counters and just like before, I could feel the gaze of all the Adventurers follow us and look at our necklaces. There are more people here than last time and all had either silver or gold necklaces.

They whispered the same old tripe but I tuned it out. I just want us to take on a job, get paid and not sleep in a shit hole again like that inn. My back feels so stiff, I wonder if the bed was so bad, it actually affected my wings while I was in my human form.

Worse still, because Ainz and I can't read the language, that means our spending options are limited. Which sucks because I'm looking forward to actually reading some of the literature here in this new world and see how it compares back home.

Still though, buying some books and sending them back to Nazarick so we can translate the alphabet into something readable might be a good use of our funds. Or a newer and more up to date map that we can use.

But first, a good bed. And maybe some food that's better than glorified gruel and meat that could be used as leather.

The receptionist behind the counter gives us a smile, "Good morning, how may I help you?"

"We'd like to take on some work."

"Then please go to the billboard and select the job you would like to take on and bring it back here."

Oh no.

Ainz nods stoically and walks over to the billboard, the group from before leaving. I follow him, my heart filled with dread as we both look upon sheets and sheets of parchment filled with words that make no bloody sense.

We stood there, blankly staring at the foreign words for a few moments. To an outsider's perspective, it might seem we're taking our time picking what work we deemed worthy.