3| The box of humiliation

I don't know when I fell asleep on the common corner of the two shelves. I woke up because of a call that turns out to be the wrong number. I checked the time it was almost time for departure which means the match is going to start soon. I quickly packed up my stuff. The teacher was dozing off in his chair. I decided to not wake him up.

The corridor was quiet as hell. There is not a single person to be seen. It's my golden chance to leave. Running down the stairs, I did not try to not make noise cause I am sure there is no one to note. A foolish football match is the reason for this ghosted building.

Just as I was about to leave through the main gate into the lawn I remembered about the file that I was supposed to collect from my classroom which includes the notes of all the classes I missed as I joined the session late, after 2 months of its enhancement. This school was never the option if only life had been a bit more jovial.

I run up the stairs experiencing my sweat pouring through my neck. It's sunny outside and humid here. I stopped midway on the staircase to put my denim jacket inside my already flared-up backpack. My black top does not really match with the blue of my jeans but who cares? Not me. I have not yet received the school uniform. This makes me look so much of an outcast in here.

I ran up the stairs to reach my classroom, as expected there was no one and I quickly picked up the file named Leah Thompsone from the teacher's desk. I wish the homeroom teacher does not mind me taking the file in his absence. It's not like we meet every day.

I decide to slow walk in the corridor because I was already tired from all this running for about 5 minutes straight. I bet I am bad at decision making and yes I made a mistake. if only I knew earlier.

"Excuse me?" a faint yet sweet voice came from one of the rooms. I glance here and there not sure of where this girl is talking from.

"Here!" she shouted when I finally found the classroom that still smells of life, unlike the other ghosted ones. I reluctantly went inside the classroom. There she stood in front of a bench that had two boxes, one kept on the other. She is wearing the cheerleader's outfit. The dress embraces her flawless body so perfectly. Her long hair was put in a high pony with a few bangs of hair curtaining her temples.

She is so pretty and tall, well suited to be a typical cheerleader. When I finally reach her with a "yes?"

She points at the two boxes saying, " I am really sorry to ask you for a favor but I cannot take all these to the field alone. My teammates left early for the practice class. Can you help me with these?"

I looked at the open box at the top, it contains towels on one side and bottles on the other. It's going to be kinda heavy for real. But it would be hard for her to take these all by herself. And again, I won't be able to say no anyways.

"Sure"

"Great! I'm Mia by the way if you don't know. Never seen you before" she says with a smile

"Leah"

She goes off to the teacher's desk where lay her props. She takes them in a bag and I take up one of the boxes. Well, this is a bit heavy but I can make it to the field in time.

"Okay then, follow me, girl. Make sure they don't fall on the way"

She leaves the room with that. I glance at the other box kept on the bench. I look back at the hallway that is filled with her shoe noises. Damn it. I pick the other one up over the first one and walk as fast as I can to follow her.

How I wish I would have said no in the first place. I am technically carrying these two boxes and my fat bulky bag on my back. I struggle going down the stairs. I cannot really look ahead, I have to glance from any of the sides of the two boxes. I feel her patiently waiting down the stairway. Thanks to god that she does not make a fuss about me being so slow, especially when I can't help it.