Chapter Forty-Six - Tai

Ashley shook Tai awake in the late hours of the night. At first, she wondered if something happened to Darien. Wasn't he supposed to be home? Or soon? She rubbed her eyes and frowned.

"What's going on?" she asked. "Everything okay?"

"I wanted to give you a chance," Ashley whispered. "I'm leaving, and if we go together, maybe we might do a lot better."

It took a moment for Tai's tired, sludge-like brain to process everything she'd just heard. "What do you mean you're leaving? What about your family? I mean, what about your boys?"

Her nonchalant shrug scared Tai. "Daddy has always been their favorite. They'll be fine. They don't want me. I doubt they'll even miss that I'm gone. If you don't want to come with me, I won't think less of you. Just wanted to let you know. We can do this together. You're a lot like me. We're independent and free. We make our own destiny."

"Where are you going to go?" Tai asked, still not sure if she could believe her own ears, let alone trust that she wasn't dreaming.

"I'm leaving the country." Again, she shrugged as if it weren't a big deal. "Figured I'd start completely fresh and go from there. The guys are about an hour out. There's time to pack a bag. I got plenty of cash. We'll be hard to track."

Tai shook her head. "They aren't going to chase after you. He will just let you go." She didn't know Tommy well, but he came off as more passive than his brother. Darien had let Tai leave on her own accord, and Tommy would be even more gracious about it no matter how much it might kill him on the inside. If Darien could make Tai disappear, surely the same could be done for Ashley. There had to be other women who tempted fate in similar ways.

"I know, but that doesn't mean I want him to be able to find me later on if he changes his mind," Ashley whispered. "Once our connection is broken, I'll be happy. I never would have thought it possible if it weren't for you."

Don't credit me with this. No. Tai's stomach began to twist into knots. "I wish you the best, and I hope you find everything you're looking for."

She meant every word even though she had a hard time accepting Ashley's decision. Ashley's boys were both between the ages of two and four. They were a bundle of energy, but adorable and sweet. The younger one, Billy, warmed up to Tai immediately. Kids never interested Tai before. They didn't pay attention to her, and she didn't pay attention to them. Both Billy and Luke were great boys, and when they did spend time together, all either kid talked about was his mom. Ashely was wrong. They would miss her. This would ruin them for life.

Yet, as much as she hated it, Tai did understand Ashley's feelings. No matter how much Tommy might try to find a way for his wife to love him, she probably never would. Tai would not want to be trapped in a loveless marriage either.

"Be careful. Okay?" Tai gave her a weak smile, hoping she was right about the mercy Darien's family would offer. The secret of the dragons still needed protecting.

"I always am," Ashley said. "And I'll remember your kindness. Don't say anything until after they've discovered I'm gone."

Tai sighed. "I won't."

She watched Ashley leave the bedroom, pulling the bed covers up around her tightly. Falling back asleep was almost impossible. Eventually, she was so tired that not even her thoughts could keep her awake any longer. A shame. Seeing Darien before going back to bed would have made the night at least a little bit better.