Lexi-Flavored Denial [11]

"The beat is beating you up
And you are part of my destiny
But I can't let go..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Y/n-- take that ridiculous fucking mask off right now!"

I pinch my lips together in an attempt to hide the giggle that gets caught in my throat.

Ash and I have just gotten back into my hotel room after splitting up with the guys for the night. We took a taxi here and Ash shoved me into an elevator, ripped my door open, and is now staring at me with the cutest little angry expression I've ever seen on her face.

"Can't I go shower first or something?" I ask, purposefully trying to rile her up a bit more. I just can't help it, especially when she's trying to force anger that just isn't there.

Ash's eyes narrow as she kicks off her shoes by the door. "No. Take it off now." Her manicured hand lifts and she points an accusatory finger at me. "Miss 'I-won't-show-you-my-face-for-six-years.' I literally have not seen you since you were in high school, and that was only a singular photo!"

I snort. "Be happy with that one picture. You can wait a bit longer."

Ash groans, tilting her head up to the ceiling. She even lightly stomps her foot on the ground then grabs at the air. "I absolutely cannot wait any longer! I need to see the face I kissed. It's driving me insane. I just know you're hot." Her screeches are wild and crazed at this point, so maybe it's time I put her out of her misery.

With a little giggle that I can't quite keep in, I put my hands on the cheeks of my mask and push it up my face, then ease the band that held it to my head out of my hair.

I look up at Ash, a spear of anxiety rushing through me. It's not like it matters-- this is my best friend-- but it still feels a bit scary. I'm not all that pretty and what if she expected someone better looking? I don't even come close to comparing to The Faces.

Ash doesn't have a physical reaction-- she just stares, mouth gaping a bit. Her eyes flit over every little inch of me. It makes my anxiety even worse to the point that I'm twiddling my thumbs and looking at anything but her... and my feet seem extremely entertaining right now.

I've never ever been confident in myself and that's something Ash knows well. Watching her watch me but not say a word makes me feel like she doesn't think I look very good. Which, honestly, I'd rather her tell me the truth instead of lie. So maybe her reaction is better-- Ash would never lie to me.

I peek at Ash through my lashes, watching her smack her lips together, lick them, then gape at me again. Well fuck. It must be bad.

So I grimace and tilt my head down again. I'm about to just go take a shower and call it a night. Try to ignore the embarrassment barreling through me in a never-ending wave of remorseless shame.

"Y/n," Ash says, and I pick my head up again. She's still blankly staring at me. "I have made out with so many women in my life, just so you know. But I have to say that you are, by far, the most beautiful woman I have ever had the pleasure of kissing. Wow. I want to brag about you."

I gulp, heat enveloping my cheeks immediately. I'm relieved, even a bit shy as Ash's eyes start to go wide and she blinks at me, eyes going in so many directions as she looks over me some more.

Truth be told, I'm seconds away from either breaking down over her words or cackling at her manic eyes.

"Holy-- wow." Ash squeals, taking quick steps toward me and grabbing my warm cheeks in her hands. "And your little blush just makes you so much prettier. Do you even exist?" Her eyebrows scrunch together, accentuating her wide, bright eyes. "Bellissima, principessa!"