VI

⊶✢⊶

               Do I actually want to go?

I asked myself for the umpteenth time as I walked down the hall, waiting for Alejandro.

The dark sky and earth kissed on the horizon and the full moon looks into my soul through the window and my wand feels foreign in my hand and the knife attached to my thigh feels treacherous. The clock is ticking and screaming at me for running late but my feet are cemented to the dark floors that I seem to see again for the first time. My head is spinning with adrenaline that has nothing to spend on while my heart is pounding and my body feels paralyzed with a sense of remorse that I don't know where is coming from.

Alejandro is late. Almost 30 minutes. It worries me. There are many things that worry me today.

It's Halloween and monsters are everywhere. Some are in costume and some are finally without costume and I'm afraid to run into any of them.

As the clock strikes 9.45 pm, I run out of the house and as everything stops and the world freezes at 9.45, I watch my house burn. Mad laughter erupts from the darkness around me, sending fear deep into my bones.

Bellatrix Lestrange.

She was standing a few meters in front of me, looking more satisfied than ever.

More of them came, more and more Death Eaters gathered around me as if they were about to perform a sacrificial ritual.

And while my brain was coming to a realization, my heart was sinking into my stomach.

Alejandro. Alejandro betrayed me.

I stood still, surrounded by the darkest sorcerers of today who don't find it difficult to kill or torture. But I stood still because I knew that they had come in such numbers because one of them could not do anything to me.

Silence fell, at least for me, as I examined the masks of all the Death Eaters around me. Only Bellatrix was unmasked. Crazy Bellatrix.

Bad people are around me, bad people are bad but they don't deserve the bad things that happened to them. But they are convinced that I and all who oppose them deserve suffering and death.

"Oh dear!" She exclaimed, her psychotic laughter followed and it chilled me to the bone.  "Isn't it cute how you tried to save your little brother and his darling Lily-flower and that little bastard?" She circled around me. "It's a shame there's always someone to betray you. Isn't it?"

She stood right in front of me. Her maddened gray eyes passed over my figure as if she was a predator and I was her little prey, not even worth hunting, that one who came of his own free will.

"Are you ready to die?" Her voice cut through the dead silence of this night.

"Why are you talking to yourself?"

I watched as her brows furrowed before anger appeared on her sharp features and her wand began to shake with the thrill of the kill.

"Gryffindor is not ready to kill!"

The wands rise and a moment before the death curses fell from their lips, I set the world on fire.

Screams of terror and howls of pain cut through the deathly night as uncontrollable flames erupted from the tip of my wand.

Maybe this is the end of me. Maybe James will be saved but not by me.

"OI LOVE!" The voice brought me back to reality before something hit me and the next moment I was flying above all the terror.