Part 17

"Humans cannot reject temptation. They will hold onto anything that may help them escape from the situation they are in, even if it's merely a spider's thread," he smiled and paused. "No matter what sort of humans they are," Sebastian eventually said. I looked at the ground, remembering what kind of human I had been when I made my contract. I recalled being desperate, hopeless and above all, I remembered I was boiling with rage and I had never felt more betrayed. I was very vulnerable. Not long after making my contract with Sebastian, I realised he wasn't doing it all out of kindness, no. He just liked toying with humans and their emotions. He thought it was funny to watch. I sighed and looked away.

"Demons are those who use various chances to poke at humans, before leeching whatever comes out of it as means of survival. Am I right?" the Death God asked. I looked at William, he was spot on with his assumption, though he had phrased it rather oddly. Sebastian gave him a small smile, before saying "I do not dismiss that claim."

Did Sebastian just agree with a Death God? That's new.

"Because you are on a leash, you are slightly better than all the other untamed, wild hounds." William concluded and walked away, muttering about overtime and paperwork.

As he neared the end of the alley, dragging Grell by his hair, I heard Sebastian picking something up. Before I could turn my head around, he had already thrown it. I only realised what it was when the item stopped mid-movement. It was Grell's chainsaw, and William had caught it in between two fingers.

I was quite impressed by this and it showed on my face. William turned around and looked at Sebastian with a drained expression. He didn't feel like wasting anymore time.

"You left this behind." Sebastian said with an innocent face. I bit the inside of my cheek, hoping the reaper would let it go. William glared at him before forcing a 'thank you' out of his mouth.

He blinked before he turned back around and left.

I felt ashamed. Not just of the tears I had shed, but also of the aggression and murderous behaviour I had displayed in front of both of them. I bet they could have never seen that coming. On top of that, every enemy was gone and I was still in chock. Every minute I became angrier with my own attitude. Why couldn't I just calm down? It must be everything together, that was driving me insane. Almost all my senses had been fucked with; I smelled blood and I was seeing it too. It was sticking to my clothes and skin. There was an odd ringing sound in my ears, it wasn't too loud, but it was still there. I wouldn't be surprised if I fainted soon, as my lung capacity was lowered vastly due to the corset I was wearing.

I stared sadly at the ground, realising what Grell had said was right. I thought about all the events that would take place in the next century. I felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. All those lives were now my responsibility.

The burden was heating up my head and cooling down my skin. And my stomach appeared to be making odd twists. I closed my eyes and endured these new feelings of terror. I swallowed, after which I wiped the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand. Unfortunately the few drops of sweat were replaced by blood.

Finally, I dared to look at Ciel and Sebastian. They were standing by Madame Red's corpse. I could forget about their support or care from now on, for sure. I turned around and started walking away from the crime scene. It would be dangerous to roam the streets at night, but I doubted anyone would want to come near me, looking the way I did. I had to find the Undertaker so I would have somewhere to sleep.

"Where do you think you're going?" I heard the earl say from behind me. I sighed. Without turning around, I answered him.

"You just saw me strangle and nearly kill a God of Death. I highly doubt you want me anywhere near you anymore." I looked at Sebastian and continued: "Furthermore, if you're hungry, you'll know where to find me.", I simply told him.

"It doesn't matter what he wants. I decide what happens," the little Lord, or rather brat, snapped. "can she be of use to us?", he inquired.

Sebastian blinked at the sudden question. "Yes," he admitted, "She has quite a lot of information about the near future and from what I know about her, she's had professional education."

"I can hear you, you know." I said with a tired voice as I turned around. I observed the two, unblinking. "There's not much to be said about my education, I finished my high school, but have had no futher education because of certain circumstances." I explained, "As for future events, I doubt I will have any valuable information for you, because by the time the next war comes you'll be dead. Or at least, that's what I hope for Sebastian."

I smirked as I watched Ciel's facial expression change from confusion to rage. My body shivered from the cold, but I couldn't really feel it. It must be the adrenaline.

"I suggest you get the earl somewhere warm soon." I told Sebastian, "It is cold outside and once he calms down from the events, the adrenaline, which is currently coursing through his body, will stop working."

I observed Ciel. "I see you're quite skinny, so I expect your immune system isn't good. You're prone to catch diseases, for instance a cold." I pointed out and he frowned.

"So you're a nurse, then?" he asked. I was the one who was frowning now.

"Just because I have a basic knowledge on the human body, doesn't mean I studied Nursing." I retorted, "My.. area of expertise, if that's what I'm allowed to call it, is language. That's what my teachers taught me most about."

I gave him a smug smile. "But as this is practically the Middle Ages, I'll have extensive knowledge on a lot more than you do anyway."

Ciel looked annoyed at my confidence. "Tsk. I knew I should have made Sebastian interview you better." he finally said, before walking up to me. "You're coming with us." he declared and walked towards the streets. Sebastian walked up to me.

"That reaper was right. You know too much. It would be unsafe to leave you here, unprotected." he told me and I raised my eyebrows at the word unprotected.

As much as I hated to believe it, it was true. I was completely powerless against any thugs here. I had no guns, knives or any other weapons. On top of that, I wouldn't know where to put the bodies of the murdered thugs, or where to hide from the police afterwards.

"It is fortunate that my master wants you to join us." he smiled.

"You.. You do realise you're inviting a murderer into your home.. Do you not?" I inquired, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"We've already invited worse people." he affirmed confidently. I sighed.

"It's not like I have anywhere else to go." I accepted his offer.

"Perfect." Sebastian smiled and escorted me towards the carriage.