What if... Jirachi didn't return to sleep?

"I'll never forget you, Max. I... I-"

Suddenly, he started tearing up. He remembered all the fun times he had with his new friend. He decided he didn't want to leave Max, and quickly turned back. Her tarps unfolded, and she wasn't backing up anymore. In fact, she was floating forward again.

"Woah! Jirachi, what-"

"I can't do it, Max..." he sobbed softly, into Max's arms. "I don't want to go back to sleep... I want to stay with you!" He held Max tightly, his grip tight.

"Jirachi, if you don't sleep, then... you won't be a wish maker anymore."

This didn't make Jirachi feel any better. He had to choose between staying as a wish maker, or staying with his friend... and the clock was ticking.

He was breathing heavily, in fear and terror of losing one or the other. Max understood.

"Jirachi... you know, that's... I would have missed you too."

Tears formed within his big blue eyes. Then he noticed the comet fading.

"I..."

The clouds were beginning to cover up what was left of the Millennium Comet.

"I-"

And then, the comet was gone. It left without Jirachi.

"Max... I choose... to not leave you."

Those words alone had a massive impact on him. In a single sentence, his entire life shifted directions.

——————————

(NOW PLAYING: "THE FIRE IS GONE: ULTRAKILL OST" BY ARSI 'HAKITA' PATALA, A.K.A. HEAVEN PIERCE HER - GUITAR COVER)

——————————

He looked down at his third eye, as did Max. The light was dying out.

"The star... it's voice is fading... I... can't hear it anymore."

His third eye shook violently. After it finished rumbling, the third eye...

Faded into a deep black. Next, the eye shut tight. Jirachi helplessly tried to pry it open, but failed.
Finally, the line on his stomach faded into gold and blue sparkles.

Jirachi teared up. He knew his decision was final, and he couldn't go back. He cried into max's chest, worried.

"My eye, Max... my eye..." he whispered silently, tears falling down his other two eyes.

"I know, Jirachi. I know." Max hugged the pokemon as tight as he could. "You're a brave pokemon, you know that?"

"Was it worth it though...? I've only every granted wishes my whole life... what am I now?"

"My friend."

"I was scared about what would happen if I didn't go back to sleep... I was scared it would kill me..."

"But it didn't. You're alive, Jirachi. And now you get to be with me."

"And... and Forina... what will happen to this place now? Now that i'm not in it? Will it..."

"Look around you, Jirachi. Forina is just fine. It was always worth it."

Butler walked over to the two friends. "I... witnessed a revelation. I'm touched. Truly."

"I know, Butler. But this is what HE wanted." Said Diane.

Jirachi sniffled, still hugging max.

"You don't ever have to leave me now. Ok?"

"(sniff) o-ok..."

"I promise... you're not alone anymore."