06 | in the trash

               THEY ARRIVED THERE right as a crowd began to form

THEY ARRIVED THERE right as a crowd began to form. It was another scorching day outside, reflective of the last few days of summer. Mori halted and tried looking past the people in her way.

"Everyone, please, back away and go to first period!" A teacher ordered. Mori instantly recognized the voice, she looked up at the authority figure who was ushering a horrified girl away.

Ms. Smeriglio stared down at the body, overwhelmed by the blood that dried on the pavement. It was a nightmarish scene and she was afraid she wouldn't be able to sleep well that night. Never in her wildest thoughts would she imagine to see her dead student's body laying still in front of her, no sign of life in her whatsoever.

"Ms. Smeriglio," Mori called out, trying to wave in front of her face but Ms. Smeriglio looked straight through her former student.

"She can't see you." Charley sighed, having a heavy heart as he watched Mori frantically attempt to get her teacher's attention.

"What should we do?" Another teacher asked, one that everyone was unfamiliar with. "Should we call the police?"

Ms. Smeriglio didn't even wait before pulling out her phone which was snug in the back pocket of her jeans. She stepped aside, waving away students in the distance who were staring.

"How do you know her?" Wally inquired, pulling Mori away from the well-acquainted spot.

"She's my history teacher." Mori muttered, rubbing her forehead as it started to hurt.

"Are you sure you want to witness all this?" Charley grimaced, in his mind comparing how the body looked yesterday to today. The smell got worse as well. The body had begun rotting and the process was accelerated by the unbearable heat from the sun.

"Yeah." Mori was hesitant herself but she knew perhaps if she stuck around she could get clues on who her murderer could be.

"Well, well, well, I didn't expect this." Rhonda appeared from nowhere, leaning against the wall and squinting to make out what was happening in the distance.