[ 003 ] ⠀ On the Loose

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ THE instant the Infected made a move, Anastasia's heart lurched.

Shit, she thought as she turned around and started running. She stumbled through the field, hindered by debris and bashed-in crates, and she heard the ravenous growling of the creatures right on her heels. She had to warn the others. Shit!

Heavy footfalls echoed as Anastasia stormed across the camp, trying to reach the buildings as quickly as possible. The grass parted sideways under each step, and the sky seemed to open up for the sun to beat down tirelessly, causing the air to press down on the woman from all sides. As she ran, the sound behind her intensified. They were getting too close. She risked a glance over her shoulder and saw several Runners lunging towards her, their eyes wild with hunger.

With a burst of adrenaline, the woman picked up the pace and reached the edge of the nearest structure, skidding to a stop in front of its entrance. She swung open the door, making her way up a flight of stairs until she found the others grouped up, their weapons ready. Her first instinct was to look for Diego; he was right there, grasping a Glock 17 handgun strategically.

"What's going on?" Marc asked, his expression tense.

"The Infected," she gasped. "They're running wild. Somebody breached the fence and let them in."

Diego's eyes widened in alarm. "Are you okay?"

"It doesn't matter. We have to do something!"

Elliot agreed. "We need to defend the camp. And find the culprit because whoever stole our weapons let those bastards in."

"Can I get a weapon?" Anastasia asked suddenly, expecting dirty looks in response. However, Marc pushed a gun into her hands without hesitation, sizing her with his dark green eyes. As her fingers closed around the battered hilt, she nodded. "Thanks."

"Don't make me regret it," he said, corralling his attention towards the hallway. A loud crash echoed from downstairs. "Everyone, stay alert. Try to stick together."

Anastasia watched with bated breath as the survivors clutched their weapons, her heart pounding with anticipation. It seemed as though time crawled in slow-motion, a torturous waiting before the first Infected emerged from around the corner. Inhaling sharply, the woman drew her gun and braced herself to open fire. She felt a surge of adrenaline, a rush in her veins as the shot thundered in the corridor, and a dangerous battle between the dead and the living ensued.

The bullets cut through the confined space, roaring with determination to take down the monsters. Click! Bang! Boom!

Everyone fought tooth and nail to protect their home. Marc and Elliot stayed behind to guard the squad against rear attacks whilst Mercy and Diego secured the middle area. Anastasia joined Luc on the front to fend off the oncoming Infected. And despite the odds against them, they somehow managed to hold their ground, taking down wave after wave of those zombified creatures.

As time wore on, sustaining the defence became increasingly arduous and time-consuming. Anastasia's muscles began to cramp from the constant recoil, emptying clip after clip, and a searing pain flared up in her abdomen. She tried to maintain her stance, but it grew progressively more challenging as the minutes ticked away.

She gritted her teeth and willed herself to persist. Click! Bang! Boom! The fight continued.

"Elliot, watch out!" Mercy shouted suddenly.

Anastasia snapped her head toward the man, her eyes widening in horror. He was battling three Runners at once. One of the creatures had pinned him against the wall with a show of brute force, coming dangerously close to his neck. With a racing heart, the woman recklessly abandoned her position, charging forward to his aid. As she aimed the gun ahead, she took the Infected down with a grunt. Click! Bang! Boom! She didn't even hesitate.