Chapter 14- The kiss of the cursed

Romina felt a sharp chill as she opened her eyes. She turned her head to look around. All around her were icy white arctic mountains. They were on the top of a sharp cliff. She looked up and saw the colourful night sky. The lights were mesmerising, beautiful, something Romina could not have ever imagined witnessing with her own eyes. However, all she could think of in that moment was how cold she felt.

'Oh shit... it's frickin cold. Don't you feel it?' she asked Ronaldo, pressing herself against him for warmth.

With a humorous smile, Ronaldo enclosed them in a bubble protecting them from the wind and the cold. Romina felt the warmth instantly.

'No, I only feel what you do to me' Ronaldo answered her question from earlier.

'What do you mean?' Romina beguilingly asked, meeting his gaze. She felt giddy from not only the sudden warmth she felt from being inside the bubble, but also from being physically close to him. Ronaldo Visconti was easily the most handsome man she had met. She felt a strong attraction to him. She felt enthralled by the thought of kissing him.

'Like the pain I feel when you burnt me, the anger I feel when you call me a stupid arrogant ghost... and the warmth I feel when you are close to me like this' Ronaldo said, tapering off. She looked at him and realised he was filled with desire. His words ignited her. Lust overcame her too, overwhelming her. She tried to break free. It was too much. She needed to put distance between herself and this man. However, Ronaldo held on to her tightly, not letting her pull away.

'Glad to know you have feelings, you stupid arrogant ghost' she said, flinging back her head and looking him straight in the eye. She stood proud, unwavering and unwilling to look away. Desire coursed through Ronaldo.

'Woman, are you going to kiss me? You have no idea what you are doing to me' he said, gruffly. He gripped on to her waist with one hand and nestled the other against the back of her head and lowered his mouth towards hers. Romina placed her fingers against his mouth, stopping him as he swooped in for a kiss.

'This is just one kiss. Don't try to go for seconds or thirds. I will burn your lips if you do' she said, merrily, teasing him in the hope of showing him she hadn't lost complete control. Ronaldo laughed out loud.

'I won't complain' he said, eyes twinkling.

'Why ever not?' she asked.

'You would need to kiss me again to heal my lips' he said with a laugh.

'I could probably do it without kissing you' Romina said, arching her eyebrows.

'Yeah I guess you would find a way if you could. You really are the most obstinate woman I've ever met' Ronaldo chuckled.

'I don't like being told what to do. I'm -' Romina could not finish her sentence. Ronaldo's lips came down silencing her. Her lips were sweet, honey like. She was the sweetest thing he had tasted in a long time. He deepened the kiss as he could not get enough of her. Despite his roughness, he was gentle, only taking what she was willing to offer him. Romina opened up to him. She felt dormant parts of her that she didn't know existed, come alive at the taste of his lips. Every inch, every cell of her body yearned for his kiss.

As they kissed, there was a hissing sound and black smoke escaped from Ronaldo Visconti's body. Ronaldo felt his pain vanish instantaneously as the smoke evaporated into the chilled air. Although it was a welcome reprieve, Ronaldo wanted nothing more than for the kiss to continue. He kissed her longingly, losing all sense of control. Romina pulled away. She retreated, unwilling for the kiss to turn into something more than it should. She was not ready yet.

'Stop. Please' she said, against his mouth. Ronaldo tried to kiss her again.

'Ronaldo, please' Romina asked, pulling herself away. 'I don't want to hurt you again' she said.

She let him down gently by placing her hands up against his face and gently caressing his jaw with her fingertips. Ronaldo relented. He was not going to force her to do anything she did not want to. Right now, he was happy to receive whatever it was that she was willing to give him. Keeping his desire at bay would be hard, but he knew it needed to be on her terms. He lay his forehead against hers and let out a deep breath. He ran a finger over her plush lips.

'I want more. I want more of you Romina. I can stop, but only just. You have no idea what you do to me' he said, a victim to the desire she stirred in him. He pressed his body against her so she understood how he was feeling. Romina felt it, his hardness. Desire had been awakened in her too. She wanted to explore it further but held off because Ronaldo Visconti was not a typical male. He lived a bizarre intangible life. She was not entirely sure how she fit into it. She first needed to understand and figure out it all before she could think about opening herself to him.

'I'm sorry. But this is all you get from me' she whispered to him.

'Did I do something wrong?' he asked, worried he had hurt her or had been too rough. He could feel that she was aroused and wanted to understand why she was unrelenting.

'I need time, Ronaldo. You've had centuries to think about all this. I've literally had just days. I need more time to think things through. Please. I need you to be patient.' This time, Romina rubbed her fingers against his lips. He closed his eyes. Her fingertips were gentle, soft, warm. He sighed deeply. He understood her confusion, her caution. He was grateful that she had been willing to even do this for him. He knew he could not take anything for granted with Romina.

'Let me see your hand' Romina asked, in an attempt to distract them from the emotions they were feeling.

'It's gone. My hands are no longer burnt' he said, with a smile holding his hands out to her. Romina smiled back at him. She lifted her gaze from him and looked at the lights high above her shining in the night sky.

'Here, let's lie down on our backs. It gives you the best views' Ronaldo said, laying down on his back. Romina lay down close to him. Their bodies were almost touching as they looked up at the colourful dancing light show. It was a beautiful display and Romina felt humbled to have witnessed it first hand.

'Have you seen this before' she asked.

'Yes. I come here when I feel lost, or helpless. I just watch these lights and for just a moment in time, I don't feel as lonely' Ronaldo said, with a sad smile.

'I know it's silly but sometimes I sit here and talk out loud to the angels out here' he said softly.

'Angels? Can you see them?' Romina asked, holding her breath.

'Mmm...'

'What are they like?' she asked, turning towards him.

'They are like you mi amore. They are beautiful, kind. They don't have to be kind towards a sinful man like me' Ronaldo said, reminding her of how alone he must have felt all this time. Romina felt connected to him. It wasn't just the physical attraction she had for him, but there was something about him that just drew at her heart. She wanted to know more about him, wanted to help him, wanted to rid him of his loneliness.

'How, why did this happen to you?' she asked softly.