An unpleasant surprise

It was Sunday, the little hand of the old hall clock had just reached eight when the sound of the doorbell disturbed the silence of a peaceful morning. With a sigh Jim Castor left his wife at the kitchen table and went wrapped in his favourite blue powdering dress and a cup of coffee in his hand to the door. Who bothered others at this unholy hour? Jim wasn't necessarily angered by the unexpected disturbance but he did feel some sort of discontent. He quite enjoyed his early morning chats with his wife, while their teenage son was peacefully sleeping upstairs. Luckily Jake wasn't a light sleeper and wouldn't wake up from the sound of the doorbell, giving the parents a chance to appreciate their togetherness a little longer after the visitor left. Little did Jim know that his life was about to change and not for the better. When he opened the door, he stared at a rather familiar looking face. It was then Jim realised the peaceful morning was gone and wouldn't return. The man was as sturdy as tall, his hair ash blonde with traces of silver and his eyes were the colour of golden whiskey.

"Kasimir", Jim called out as he stared at his wife's cousin in utter disbelief.

"Good morning, Jim", Kasimir's grin grew bigger, showing wolfish teeth. "I hope I'm not disturbing you. Do you and Melinda still have your cute, little morning chats?"

Jim felt the strong urge to slam the door at his relative, but it was a rather childish thing to do, so he just said:

"We do. Please come in!" He stepped aside to let Kasimir in.

"Thank you. You look great, perhaps a little greyer at the sides." Kasimir still smiled at Jim, but it was obvious he was mocking him. It'd be a miracle, if I still have hair by the time you leave, Jim thought to himself.

"Thanks. You also look like you're doing just fine. So what brings you here? Trying to lure my son in to another illegal adventure of yours?", Jim asked, grinning at Kasimir in a challenging manner.

"Jim", Kasimir laughed and put an arm around Jim's shoulders, pulling him in. "I wouldn't dare to, since I know you wouldn't approve of it. I'm just here to check on my beloved cousin and her lovely family."

"Great. Because next time Melinda would definitely hunt you down and kick you out of the family."

Jim took a satisfied sip from his coffee as he saw Kasimir's smile waver for the blink of an eye. Kasimir might not be a skilled witch, but he still had some magical tricks up his sleeve. Jim on the other hand was an ordinary mortal, so Kasimir didn't take his threats too seriously. Therefore Jim had decided it was more efficient to use his wife, Melinda, a highly skilled and well-respected witch to threaten the man to leave their son alone. And who would have guessed that Melinda was one of the few whose name could actually make Kasimir shiver with fear? Damn, it felt great to have the upper hand for once.

Maybe, it's a good day after all, Jim took another sip.

[A/N: Of Witches and Graves is a little fun project, I started when I was busy studying. The chapters are rather short (I swear they looked longer on actual pages than they do online!), but I kinda like it that way. One can easily read them in between or before going to bed. 

Also, you might have noticed that English is not my first languange. I try my best to make as few mistakes as possible,still I make a lot of them. So I'd be thankful, if you could give me a littlefeedback when you notice major spelling errors or weird expressions. I always strive to improve myself. :)

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and thank you for reading! <3]