006

"I know you see my heart and you hear my cry," a sniff followed. "Give Taraoluwa a husband."

Mommy was making one of her loud, long prayers again.

A few weeks after my break-up with Kasope, she would go on these long morning prayers where I served as her prayer point, and on some occasions, she would come into the room with a bottle of anointing oil which she would rub on my forehead as I slept.

"Let men begin to locate her."

I groaned and pulled my pillow over my head.

The prayers continued all through my morning shower and while I was getting dressed for work. I let out a sigh as I made my way from the kitchen to the dining table where Tise sat, a mug filled with tea in her right hand, and her phone on the other.

"Doesn't it get tiring? Hearing Mommy pray like this?" She looked up at me, an eyebrow raised. "I wonder what how she would react if I told her I don't want to get married."

Masking my surprise at what my younger sister just said, I shrugged, "I'm used to it."

"Anyway, I'd like to come with you to the bakery today."

"For?"

"I'm tired of sitting at home. The strike has been extended," she sighed. "Besides, I want to start a business, remember? You're the most successful entrepreneur close to me."

"I—"

"Contrary to what you might be thinking, I won't cause any trouble."

"Tise—"

"I promise."

"Will you let me speak?" my voice was firm as I gave her a once-over. Her cornrows looked nothing close to being neatly oiled, and her short nightwear gown had creases all over them. "You're not even ready."

"That's what you think," the sheepish smile on her face was the same one she held when she was about to do something sneaky, "but I just might get there before you."

Tise took off her wig the moment we stepped into the bakery, her nose wrinkled in disgust as she tapped the cornrows that lay under them in relief, "What is this heat early this morning? And why does Lagos go through so much traffic despite the traffic lights?"

I didn't have the time to wipe the sweat off my forehead, and I stopped paying attention to my sister's complaints when I noticed the sight before me. My heart must have skipped a beat and I felt a trickle of sweat run down my chest. Opportunity, they said, comes but once and it felt true because somehow, I could see other doors closing on me.

Why was the cake which should have been delivered an hour ago still standing in front of me?

"Oh, God," I sank into the nearest seat beside me as I hurriedly took my phone from my bag, a few receipts falling to the ground in the process.

"Wow. What cake is this?"

"Do not touch that cake, Tise," I yelled even though I didn't want to, and that was why I could explain the instant regret I felt when she flinched and pulled back from the cake.

"What's wrong?" she frowned.

"Uche was supposed to have delivered that cake to its owner over an hour ago," I eyed the cake again and raised my phone to my ear as it rang out. "I'm not sure why it's still here."

"It's been a while since I saw Uche," she wiggled her eyebrows playfully. "Does he have a girlfriend now?"

"Please, keep quiet," I rolled my eyes.