6. 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭𝐬

13 MAY 2022

Iris sighed as she leaned back in her office chair.

The research aspect of her job was definitely her least favorite, especially when she had to conduct phone interviews with people who were clearly focused on other tasks.

"Fucking asshole thinks I don't have other things I'd rather be doing as well."
The journalist muttered as she reached for her now cold coffee. The coolness of the mug made her groan, her irritation reaching new peaks.

"And now my coffee is cold. Great."

She was so focused on her mumbling that she didn't notice a certain blonde presenter walking towards her with a smile and a coffee in hand.

Placing the coffee on her desk, Natalie instantly had Iris' attention.

"Bad day huh?"

"Yes."
Iris responded with a whine and puppy eyes.

The caramel skinned girl knew that Natalie always had candy on her and was a sucker for puppy dog eyes, especially from her "adopted" daughter, Iris.

"Oh my poor baby. Welcome to the shitty world of sports journalism. Where sports agents treat you like the gum on the bottom of their shoes mid-season but wine and dine you during the transfer window."
Natalie sighed as she pulled out a cherry flavored penny lolly.

The veteran journalist had experienced her fair share of narcissistic footballers and their agents, which was enough to scare her into Formula 1 where teams were too scared to ruin their brands legacy, to be outright rude to journalists. Unless they were Redbull.

"But I do have something to cheer you up."

"Is it that lollipop that you have been twirling around for the past minute?"
Iris asked with her attention clearly fixed in the hypnotic movement of her favourite sweet.

"The lolly is more of a bribe but since you want it so bad, here you go. But drink your coffee first, then come to me if you still need help figuring out your surprise."
Confused but elated at the confirmation of getting the sweet, the young woman nodded and drew the paper cup closer to her, not noticing the writing on the cup.

Unwrapping the sucker, Iris couldn't help but think about Max. The Dutch driver had last messaged her on the Monday after the grand prix wishing her safe travels. Part of her was concerned about his silence but then she remembered that neither of them were obligated to talk to each other unless it was about their fake relationship.

He's probably grovelling for Kelly's forgiveness right now.

The thought may have seemed far fetched to others but due to her insider knowledge of his previous relationship, thanks to Lily and Alex, the Brit was sure that the Brazilian would reenter their lives soon.

Yet again her dazing was disrupted, this time by her phone ringing.

Looking at the caller ID, it was safe to say that Iris was shocked.

"Verstappen. What can I do for you?"
She spoke into the phone, making no attempts to mask her confusion.

"Hello to you too Iris. I was wondering if you mind coming down to the lobby."
Max replied, his voice full of mischief.

Iris looked around as she realised that he was in the building.

"Do you mean the lobby of the Sky building?"

"Yep."

"What are you doing here?"
The journalist sighed as she slowly got out of her chair.

I'm only going down there to avoid embarrassing him. Not because I miss him or anything.