Chapter 1

Reminder: I have not seen past Season 4 of My Hero Academia. Anything that happened after Endeavor's fight with High End Nomu did not happen in the story.

Also, this takes place in what would be Midoriya's class' 3rd years of high school (so, 2 years after season 1)

Everyday, I dreaded the thought of waking up. Sleeping was one of my only resources of pure silence and tranquility, two things that my life lacked. Between teaching students and doing the things I wanted to do, a full 8 hours of good sleep was a luxury. The thought of just staying in my bed and curling into my sheets without a care in the world seemed seducing. What I wouldn't have given just to sleep...and sleep...and sleep...

I inched out of my cozy, warm covers and stumbled into the bathroom, staring lazily at myself in the mirror. I never knew why I wasn't ever penalized by the other school staff members for my foul appearance. For my shaggy, tattered hair that hung sluggishly over my pale, squalid face. For my crimson, cracked eyes with droopy bags to hold them up. For the black, prickly stubble that hid my drying, dying skin. For the way I always looked hungover in the morning. For the way I dressed, the way I talked, the way I taught.

I crawled into the shower, shuddering at the instantaneous scorch of hot water that trickled down my spine. I leaned my head back, pressing my hair out of my face. I squirted a few dabs of shampoo into one hand and kneaded it into my scraggly mop. As the lather rinsed down my face, I heard the faint creak of the bathroom door followed by a feeble meow of curiosity. Not long after, the small face of a puzzled Artemis peeked behind the shower certain. She tilted her head, staring at me like a flesh-covered artifact. She placed a paw onto the fiberglass floor of the shower as if she wanted to join me. She gingerly planted her other paw down and meowed at me longingly.

"Yeah, you don't wanna come in here," I warned lazily, knowing that she wouldn't listen. She scooted her back paws toward the floor, slowly inching her way to the water. She lifted her head up and sniffed the misty steam before creeping toward a drizzle of water. The soap from my hair ran down my back and to my waist, slithering down each of my legs to the floor. The soap was slick enough to make the feline's paws slip, sending her right into a hot seep of water. She yowled in fright, scurrying out of the bathroom. I snorted, remarking "told you so."

~

I wrapped my hips in a fuzzy towel while using another to scrub the water out of my hair. Artemis curled around my damp legs, longing for the warmth. I bent down and stroked her head gently, scratching around her ears. She purred, leaning into the cup of my hand. "The big bad shower got you wet, huh?" I said softly, running my hand slowly down her back. She meowed annoyedly, seeming to know I was teasing her.

I knelt back up and opened the bathroom cabinet, pulling out a toothbrush and paste. God, I thought, my teeth are ugly, too. I squirted a small glob of white, striped toothpaste onto my brush and vigorously scrubbed my teeth with it. My mouth foamed like a rabid dog. The more I started to notice my reflection in the bathroom mirror, the more chips and dirt particles I could see in and under my fingernails.

After brushing my teeth and attempting to tame my hair just a bit, I got on my hero costume and scarf, both of which smelled like misery. As I headed out the door, Artemis meowed loudly at me, which she always did when I hadn't told her goodbye. I sighed, in a hurry to get to the school on time. I rubbed her cheeks and head softly, letting her slither into my hands. "Bye, sweetie," I said, leaving Artemis and getting out the door.

~

I walked into the main building of UA High, already craving Lunch Rush's coffee. It was the beginning of July, so my all-black outfit wasn't very beneficial. Students were chattering through the halls like parrots with long legs (no offense to the ones with parrot quirks.) I could see past students stroll around me. A hot-headed brat with spiky hair. A dumb playboy with sparks zapping from his fingers. A kind-hearted airhead with cheeks painted pink. They'd grown since I had last taught them, both physically and mentally.