7:50am

Usually I don't get up at the crack of dawn but I had one too much to drink before bed, it was still pretty dark a bit with little rays of light coming through the cracks of the blinds. I sat up and checked my lockscreen, "7:50am". Sliding my feet into my slippers, staggering half awake to the door I let out a sigh as I made my way to the restroom. Initially it didn't feel any different than any other morning, everyone is still out like a light, not a peep other than our heater thumping. 

Pondering about plans for the day I finish up my business, flushing; I stand in front of the sink, glancing at my exhausted expression I chuckle. I was just about to turn the sink on till I heard what sounded as if a small whisper that made the little hairs on my neck stand. I couldn't make it out at first so I paused to listen intently, wondering if my toddler woke up; utter silence. Turning the faucet on, I make haste by washing my hands as quick as I can. I still wanted some free time before my toddler woke up. There, again, it was very very faint but I could make out only syllables …. 'Te..te…'. Dread seemed to overtake me, I leaned closer to the wall of the bathroom to try to hear better.  Again, it sounded way closer now but oddly also sounded still faint,... 'Te….te…. Te…..tee'. A chill just ran up my spine, it sounded child-like though it had an unnatural tone to it. I whispered to myself,"What in the hell, is that?" I  situationed to my ear up against the bathroom door. I know for a fact that isn't my toddler begging for milk and definitely isn't my nephew, I can differentiate their voices. Closer, it came yet sounded still faint, …..'Tete…..te…Tete'. Standing there for what felt like forever, I gathered the courage, "Oh, no I need to get out to my room."

I took a breath, immediately opening the bathroom door without peeking the opposite way of where the voice was coming from, I beeline with quick steps across from the bathroom to my bedroom and immediately shut then lock my bedroom door. My toddler is still sound asleep in her crib, I stand by my bed for a minute to try to listen for the voice again, in relief, it was back to silence. I hadn't heard it since that peculiar morning. Whatever it was sounded very eerie and unnatural, as if it was trying to mimic human speech but it failed at sounding human enough to trick me. Never again.