10

It's been a long few days. 

David still has yet to contact me, even though I know it's coming I still feel this sense of deep dread that I can't shake. School has felt pointless to me at this point, so I haven't been going. My phone has been blowing up with text messages from Nathan and Katie, asking me where I've been and if I'm alright. I'm not, but they can't know that. 

A home should feel safe, a home should be a fortitude against your worst fears and struggles. But my home felt like a trap, like the longer I stayed here the more at risk the people who resided here would be. I made a decision last night. I would leave here tonight, leave the comfort and love behind and instead instill the safety for my parents I am responsible for. 

It was an easy choice. My life for theirs. I know they won't see it that way but it was the only choice I had. So I stand before my dresser, looking at myself in the mirror trying to decide if I was heroic or a coward. 

On top of my dresser there was a note to my parents, telling them I loved them and the reason I was leaving was not related to them. I just had to get away, the demons that were chasing me were too strong to overcome. As I sealed the envelope onto my dresser I felt a cold wind blow from my open window. I hadn't opened it earlier. 

I knew this was coming. I knew he would send a sign that it was time for me to depart and I wouldn't have a choice. Begrudgingly, I picked up my bag of belongings and headed towards the open window. My heart was running a mile a minute, but I knew there was no other option I could take. It was this, or death to my loved ones. 

I slid through the open window onto the roof. There was a ladder leant against it, one I knew he wanted me to use to get down. Slowly, I edged toward the ladder and even more slowly climbed down it. I didn't want to see his face again, hear his haunting voice and feel the pain that was inevitable to come. But I did anyway. 

Once I reached the bottom I felt a presence behind me. Ghostly, like he didn't even really exist at all. But I knew that wasn't the case. 

"Hello, my sweet Marietta." His voice came from the shadows, dark and foreboding. I slowly turned, my body was beginning to freeze from his voice. As I turned he came into view, tall and dark, hiding in the shadows as if they were made for him. Once I came face to face with him my throat constricted and it was hard to speak, but I managed to say,

"Where are you going to take me?" 

He smirked that devilish smile and tilted his head to the side, examining me. 

"Oh don't be so unenthusiastic, I have so many fun things planned for us." His voice was cold, it sent shivers down my spine as he slowly approached me in the darkness. "I'm going to finally be able to show you how much I love you, and there will be nothing holding you back." 

He was right in front of me now, his nose brushing mine. I turned my head, any small rebellion was enough to keep my sanity. He just chuckled, and turned me around so his my back was pressed against his chest. With his mouth near my ear he pressed a wet cloth over my mouth, sufficiently silencing any noise that could come from me. I struggled as I felt the fumes travel through my airways, making my limbs feel heavy and useless. 

"Don't worry, my love, we'll be safe very soon." 

As the words left his lips I felt my body grow even heavier, my breaths became more labored and my eyelids fought to close. I tried with all my might to stay awake, but the drugs were so powerful as they drug me into a deep sleep. 

As I was falling into the darkness I heard him whisper, "You're mine."

                                                                                       ____