5

Nathan was not one to give up easy. My phone was constantly ringing, with calls or texts from him. When we were in class together he would pester me more than ever before, earning many glares from Mr.Kern and surrounding students. But I wasn't going to give in. No matter how hard he tried or what he thought, he would never be able to understand what I've been through, what I'm going through. Quite frankly, I don't think he understands that the more questions he asks the less answers he will receive.

It was dangerous for him to be doing this. I knew David was out there, looking for me. He never made it to prison, the son of a bitch was too good in the act of disappearing. But I always felt like I was being watched, the hairs on the back of my neck stood alert at all times. I knew he would harm anyone I grew too close too, which is why I was so adamant about avoiding Nathan. It drove him crazy and maybe even hurt him, but it would be nothing compared to the pain David could inflict on him.

I don't understand how men could so willingly through themselves into a situation they know nothing about to protect someone they know nothing about. Sure, Nathan knows my favorite color and what type of food I favor, only because of his constant prying, but he doesn't really know me. No, the only thing that getting Nathan involved will do is hurt him. I won't sacrifice that for a little pain on my part.

Except, it wouldn't be a little pain. It would be a lot of pain. But I had to stay strong, keep walking like I was not one to mess with. Keep walking like I had a heart of steel, when it was really being held together with tape and glue. Because that way, by putting up a facade, it would show David he didn't have much of an impact on me.

But doing just that was proving to be quite difficult. I walked into school with a mask covering how I felt. By the end of the day it was crumbled to pieces.

Students and teachers alike stared at me as I passed them in the halls. The students with mockery, teachers with sympathy. It was infuriating, because I had no idea why, and draining because all this negativity was putting a lot of strain on my already heavy heart.

I had just hurried from the History classroom, trying to shake Nathan, when a kid shouted at me from across the hall, "Hey Psycho, shouldn't you be shivering in a corner somewhere? " He dropped to the floor, his head between his knees, and moaned loudly. His friends laughed and the surrounding students stared as I felt my face pale and my eyes gloss over.

I knew what this was about. Somehow, the news of my meltdown has spread across the school and it was obvious it wasn't getting a lot of positive attention.

I felt Nathan stiffen beside me, could practically see the waves of hatred radiating off him. But I didn't stay to hear what he shouted at the offender, didn't stay to watch the surrounding students shrink back from his anger. Instead I turned on my heel and sprinted down the hallway.

I kept running through the halls, dodging people as I went. I ignored the outraged calls of teachers, but the sneering from others was a little harder to block out. Finally, I barreled through the door of the girls' bathroom. Thankfully, it was deserted.

Shaking and breathing heavily, I barricaded myself in the stall farthest from the door in an attempt to distance myself. Distance myself from all the jeering faces, the cruel voices. From all the hatred. I was completely lost; how could this be happening? I have only been here two weeks! People couldn't possibly hate me for something I couldn't control, something they didn't understand. It just wasn't fair.