04 | because promises can be broken

❛ 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 ༉‧₊˚

warnings: unsure of depictions of the beach island event because i didn't play at that time, kaeya didn't wear an eyepatch when he was a kid (it's false but for the sake of the story let's pretend)

Diluc wandered around, his feet leaving traces of him on the sand below which shifted due to the weight.

He had left the movement he could but the islands had such peacefulness about them that he wandered around.

The redhead had walked away from the rest of the group. His introverted nature made him feel awkward being with others.

Despite the fact that he was wandering alone, he didn't feel lonely or perhaps he was just lying to himself.

But his heart was feeling a bit at peace after that conversation or rather the bantering he had with Kaeya.

With his steps tracing the sand and him mindlessly walking around, he found some things.

Star conches.

Gliterring beautifully under the rays of the sun, it urged him to pick it up. 

Beautiful white with golden and pinkish hues, rough surface which made on rub their fingers against it and cradle it in the warmth of their palms.

It was well known that star conches could record the memories of the past.

But they were few and rare, and every adventurer or any collector of rare items wanted to have at least one of them in their grasp.

Diluc bent down to pick up the shining conch in his gloved hand, the bustling noises around him from nature seemed to quieten.

And after a few seconds of silence, he heard hushed voices from the past which sent him into panic as he stood there listening to it.

The voices made him freeze.

Because they were so familiar.

...

"Ack!" 

Diluc quickly ran towards the blue-haired boy, "Kaeya!" 

His tone carried this urgency as his feet led him to the boy who was on the ground grasping at his bleeding knees in pain.

"What happened?" Diluc asked.

His hands reached the pocket of his pants in a hurry to remove a handkerchief he knew Adeline always kept.

In a clumsy manner, he tried to wrap the handkerchief around the bruised knee. The pure white cloth of the handkerchief soon turned crimson and that scared Diluc.

He went ahead and carefully made Kaeya climb his back so he could carry him back home.

"Diluc, I'm fine-" Kaeya tried to assure his brother who huffed in dismissal.

Well, it was true that his knee was hurting but it wasn't as serious as his brother considered himself to be.

Before he could continue to persuade his brother, Kaeya heard a sniffle and he looked down to see his brother had started crying silently.

"Why are you crying?!" Kaeya said in shock and confusion.

"I let you get hurt..."  Diluc confessed as he ignored the fact that his cheeks were flushed warm from both his crying and carrying Kaeya.

"I'm the older brother, so I have to protect you." His grip tightened as he sniffled once again, "I failed as an older brother."

Kaeya truly was happy that he was loved but he couldn't help but wonder how Diluc would be consoled so he just stayed silent.

"I've decided," 

Kaeya quietly listened to his brother as he continued on getting carried on his back.

"In the future..." 

This wasn't a promise.

"I will be your knight so you will never get hurt." 

Diluc swore this oath.

...

Diluc clenched the star conch tightly in his hand.

"Now, Master Diluc, " He heard the voice as his brother made an appearance, "What did that poor thing do to you?"

His red eyes took in the sight of Kaeya who was smirking at him.

His gaze lingered on the right side of his brother's face where one eye was hidden by an eyepatch.

Guilt churned in his stomach when he realised he was the reason why kaeya had to wear an eye patch.

So much for protecting him, Diluc bitterly thought.

Perhaps he was too young to have made that oath.

"I've decided,"

Because it wasn't an oath, it turned out to be a promise instead.

"In the future..." 

Oaths were sacred, they couldn't be broken.

"I will be your knight so you will never get hurt." 

His words were a promise because he broke them.

❛ 𝐈 𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐎𝐏𝐄𝐍 '𝐓𝐈𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 ❜

𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐎𝐏𝐄𝐍 '𝐓𝐈𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 ❜