3. The Tell Tale Heart

Dominik looked at the grayish white big-headed fetus on the screen in front of him. Maritza's heart was racing and she started to feel sick. Rhea squeezed his hand as the soft pulsing filled the room.

“Well, it looks like the pills didn’t work…….....You are definitely five and a half months pregnant. But the baby is rather large for it’s age”

“What does that mean?” Rhea inquired.

“I have an idea……Jennifer can you bring me Maritza's lab results from before and bring me a glucose solution.”

A petite blonde nurse with russet skin nodded before exiting the room.

“What are you thinking?”

The woman turned to Rhea and Dominik.

“Well there are a few reasons for a baby to be larger than average; such as genetics, the amount of weight a mother gains during pregnancy, but maternal diabetes is the most common cause of LGA babies. Given the fact that I know your family and I’m a member of Maritza’s I can say with certainty it is not genetics. Also she hasn’t gained enough weight for that to be the issue so I’m leaning towards diabetes.”

Rhea shifted uncomfortably, arms folding over her breast.

“So what does that mean for the baby?”

“Most complications occur during the delivery due to the baby’s size. It can lead to longer delivery time due to difficulties coming out the canal that can cause injury to the baby. Specifically broken collar bone or damaged nerves in the arm. These babies sometimes have low blood sugar in the first several hours after birth as well as difficulties breathing. The best way to get them out is through a C-section.”

“WHAT!”

Their heads whipped around to look at Maritza. Her face was red, tears spilling from her eyes as her breathing grew erratic.

“No…….No……this cant be happening…..this isn’t happening! Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm not supposed too actually be pregnant! Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!”

The husky woman placed her hand on Maritza’s forehead before slowly stroking her hair and shushing her.

“This is a nightmare!” She cried out.

“Honey look at me It’s ok, it’ll all be ok.”

Jennifer returned with a cup and set it on the counter by the sink.

“Jennifer can you get Dr. Karella tell her it’s urgent.”

The woman nodded then left again.

“It’s ok honey everything will be ok, we don’t have to do a C-section we can also induce labor before the baby gets to big. I just had Jennifer get my higher up we can discuss exactly when to do it based on the size of the fetus. Just breathe in…..2……3…….4……5……6……7……8……9……Exhale…..2……3…….4……5……6……7……8……9……”