16 | A Crack on the Pitch

Granit: "I think Ben spoke to him."

Natalie: "Don't worry just yet. It could be something else. There are a million things your coach could want."

Granit: "True. I shouldn't panic just yet. I'll meet up with you later to let you know what happens. Wish me luck."

Natalie ends the phone call and slumps over her pastries. "What happened?" Helen asked. "Granit's coach wants to talk to him. Says it's important." Natalie answered. "Did Ben talk to him? What are you going to do?" Helen asked. "I'm going to Ben's house to give him a piece of my mind." Natalie said. "That's right! You show him who's the boss White." Helen gives her a fist bump.

__

Natalie heads over to Ben's house to get to the bottom of this. She uses the spare key they gave to her to head inside. She finds him snoring on the sofa. Look at you sleeping all peaceful after causing a shit storm. "Ben! Wake up!" Natalie shouts. Ben wakes up in a panic, tossing himself off the sofa. "Natalie?" He gets up and stretches his arm.

"I didn't know you were coming. Are you here for Milly?" Ben asked. "I came here to ask why you lied to your coach about me and Granit. That's so low, Ben." Natalie said. "Lied to coach, huh? What are you talking about?" Ben asked. "Don't play stupid! You said you would lie to your coach about what you saw with me and Granit." Natalie shouted.

"I just said that because I was pissed. I wouldn't really do that." Ben said. Natalie frowned. "Then why does your coach want to talk to him?" She asked. "Beats me. Hopefully he's getting cut, though." Ben said. Natalie takes a seat, slightly relieved but still frustrated. Ben sits next to her. "Things got out of hand last night. But, Natalie, I need to know." He said.

"What?" She asked. "Why him? Why my rival, Granit Xhaka, of all people?" Ben asked. Natalie sighed. "I never saw Granit as this great rival making our lives difficult like you always say." She said. "But he was that, he was the reason we had to move-" Ben got interrupted. "No. You and dad were the reason we had to move." Natalie said.

"When we were growing up I had to sacrifice a lot being in your shadow." She said. "What's that got to do with Granit?" Ben asked. "He was the only person I ever saw be a challenge to you." Natalie said. Ben scoffed. "And that turned you on?" He shook his head. "No. Doing something that I couldn't do. Somebody finally stepping out of your shadow did." Natalie said.

"You really believe you had to sacrifice everything for me?" Ben asked. "I do. I did. And this is just another thing." Natalie said. "That's unfortunate." Ben mumbled. "I knew this wouldn't last long anyway, regardless of who he was to you." Natalie said. "Why's that?" Ben asked. "Because he's a professional football player." Natalie said.

Ben's taken aback. "So am I." He said. "And having grown up with you, I knew it wouldn't last long." Natalie said. "Explain." Ben said. "Ben. I don't trust professional athletes." Natalie said. "What's wrong with us?" Ben asked. "Too many groupies are around." Natalie said. "But I will say this, as much as I don't like him... urgh..." Ben said. "What?" Natalie asked.

"As much as I don't like him, Granit's not a loser." Ben said. "I know, because football is his everything." Natalie said. "I don't mean it that way. I mean, as football players we don't like to take a loss on or off the pitch." Ben said. "So what are you saying?" Natalie asked. "I'm saying, if he really wants you, he's not going to let you go." Ben said.

"But he doesn't want to get cut." Natalie said. "He's not getting cut, as much as I want him to." Ben said. Natalie sits with that thought. "So if you know he's not going to let me go, what are you going to do?" She asked. Ben gets up and walks towards the window. He looks out as he thinks about the question. "If he doesn't let you go... I'm going to have a hard time." He said.