Chapter 3: I'm running

Chapter 3:

"November 18th, 1997

Change. One syllable. Six letters. A million combinations. Sometimes change is for the best, sometimes for the worst. But no matter what, it always has to happen. That's how we go about our day with confusion and dignity. Because we know it'll be different from the last.

Change [CHānj]- To make or become different.

Different. Another simple word, yet so complicated. We all are different. Being different is good. You feel like what you do, and how you act is not put in a certain category. It's what makes you unique.

But nobody is flawless. Although we have no reason to label people and judge them on their appearance, but we're humans. So we have to.

Nerd, geek, slut, hipster, plastic, wanna-be, stupid, dumb, mainstreamer; Sometimes when we label people we don't hear ourselves. We don't think before we say things. Before we act. And these simple one word "tags" can haunt someone for their whole life. It may not seem apparent to some. But it happens to many.

What I encountered recently was miraculous change. It made me different. And now I'm happier.

~Katherine A. Rosner"

I read in my leather brown-wash journal. I smile as the memory comes back as clearly as if it was yesterday... When I became an artist.

I never truly thought it was possible. For someone of no use, no help or impact, to finally have a place in this world. But that's change. I never thought it was possible to have another miraculous change in someone twice, never even thought it could happen once. But that's change, you never see it coming. No matter what.

-------------

I feel a blanket of darkness enveloping the thick, musky air. Swallowing any source of life like a high powered vacuum.

My legs feel like they are burning and aching, but in reality they are frozen numb. I need to run, run far away from here. My bare feet pound across the rock hard pavement in the dimly lit, midnight streets. At this moment I don't care if hers following me or not. I just need to get out of here.

I see a light up ahead and sprint as fast as I can to reach it. A motel. This is perfect, I look at the sign above as it reads:

Vacancy

I sigh with relief as I enter the grey and tan colored lobby. And odd spell fills the air as I walk towards the front desk, currently occupied by a woman in the early 50 in blonde/white hair, reading a newspaper in her spectacles.

"Excuse me mam?" I exclaim to her, attempting to receive her attention. She smiles at me, "Yes?" She questions. "Can I have a room for one night?" She begins to type some things on her computer and tell me to sign some papers.

She hands me a silver key on a cactus keychain. "You room in 2-17; second floor, first door on your left. I smile and thank her as I make my way to my room.

I enter the elevator and press the dully lit "2" button on the wall. I hear scratchy elevator music as I rise to the next floor. Ding! The elevator goes as the doors slowly open and I make my way down the carpeted, musky hallway to my room. As I enter I plop down on the firm bed, hearing the springs inside the mattress and drift off to sleep.

_______________________________

Authors note:

Sorry that it took a while for me to update. I've just been "trying" to improve in school. Emphasis on trying. But today felt clearer, and my mind opened up so much. So I decided to post this little bit of what I wrote.

You can check out my tumblr(s) if you would like to read some of the things I wrote, because all of Katherine's journals are written by me, or just to see the random crap I (re)post.

Writings:

land-lockedwings.tumblr.com

"Personal": kailahardisty.tumblr.com

Please share this story with your friends if you enjoy it. Thanks.

-NO SONG OF THE CHAPTER; YOU CAN ALWAYS REQUEST TO GET FASTER UPDATES-

<3, Kaila Hardisty