1

I'm floating. I'm a thousand miles away, the once deafening voices are a mere whisper now.
My head makes a quiet bang every time we hit a bump, my handcuffs jingling in response. Two strong looking men sit in the front seat, S.H.I.E.L.D painted across their jackets. Next to me there is a boy, he looks about 17? No...20? It's hard to tell. Long brown hair contorts around his face, covering his eyes. His Knuckles turn white as he presses his dirt ridden fingernails against his skin.
"Stop watching me" the boy hisses.
My eyes snap away.
"Sorry" I mumble.
"No, I'm sorry...that was rude" the boy says, his eyes meeting mine.
"I'm Joseph" she says with a lopsided smile.
"Amelie" I reply, matching his smile.
"Where do ya think they're taking us?" Joseph asks, so only I can hear.
"I have no idea"
"I heard something about being around other people like us, like, our powers and shit" Joseph says waving his hand around, making imaginary powers.
"Speaking of powers, what have you got?" He asks, watching me carefully.
"I turn invisible, it always seems to be at the most inconvenient times though" I reply, rolling my eyes.
"Yeah I get that, I shoot flames from my hands, so you can imagine how fucking inconvenient that is" Joseph laughs.
Before either of us can say another word, the van comes to an abrupt stop, throwing me towards the wall. Pain courses throughout me as I thud onto the floor.
"Shit, Amelie...you ok?" Joseph asks peering down at me.
"Yeah, I think we are there" I laugh, brushing off the lingering pain in my body.
Joseph simply laughs in response, stretching his hand out toward me.
Light pours into the once dark van as the door rolls open.
My mouth hangs open as I look through the doorway.
"No fucking way" I hear Joseph mutter beside me.
In front of us a large building towers above us, the avengers symbol staring back.

★★★★★★

A metal chair scrapes across the smooth concrete floor as five men enter the room. The room is grey and clinical.
"Sit" The man closest to me barks.
My knees begin to buckle beneath the weight of his stare as I cautiously sit on the chair. My hands wander, searching for bumps and cracks to occupy my now shaking hands.
"Hello everyone, this looks like fun" a woman with long red hair says with a smirk. Her eyes scan the room, meeting mine. My cheeks heat up as my eyes dart away.
"You, what is your name?" The woman says, pointing a finger towards me.
"Amelie" I reply quietly.
"Such a pretty name...you must be Joseph?" The woman replied, gesturing in his direction.
"Yes" Joseph mumbled.
"Now, the both of you are probably wondering why you're here, this should answer your questions" The woman says, sliding two files in our direction with a smirk.
'Project Avengers' glares back at me.
"Wait, what the fuck?" Joseph says pointing to the same thing I can't take my eyes off.
"Welcome to the team, I'm Natasha" the red haired woman replies, as if knowing what was coming next.
The words float around me, sinking in ever so slowly. I stand there as everyone but me moves, they are nothing but muffled voices. I'm floating again. Someone talks to me, but I'm not me anymore, I'm nothing but an empty shell, an abandoned cocoon.
"Hey, earth to Amelie, don't pass out on me or I swear to god-" Natasha rambles, waving her hand in front of my face.
"Sorry, I-I'm fine" I manage.
My hands slide into my pockets, pinching at my thighs.
"Good" Natasha replies, backing up.
"Alright well, you two sit tight and Tony will be here in a bit to give you the tour and shit, but uh, it was nice meeting you two" The woman says, disappearing behind the door.
Once again me, Joseph and the strange men are left with each others awkward company.

—-

A/N: Hi welcome to my new book! I hope you enjoy <3