Chapter 10

Jason and Samantha spend the afternoon trying out all the rides and they stopped by a shooting stall. "I'm going to win you something," Jason smiled at her and held the gallery gun. He let out his breath, steadying himself.

Pop, pop, pop. One after another, he hit the targets.

"Winner!" the stall attendant called out. "Pick your prize."

Jason eyed the teddy bear, and then his eyes trailed down to a stainless steel necklace with a small talisman pendant. "The necklace..."

The attendant picked it off the side rack and handed it to him. "Congrats."

"Thanks." Jason held up the necklace and turned to Samantha. "Would you accept this? Or is it too cheap...?"

"I love it." She turned and moved her hair out of the way. It's been decades since I got a gift from a boyfriend.

He clasped the necklace around her neck.

"Thank you," she gave him a quick peck on the lips, holding his hands.

He flushed. "I-I wonder what's going on over there," Jason said, staring at the group of people gathering.

Samantha pointed at a sign for a fireworks show. "It's almost time for the show I guess."

"Want to go?"

"Hmm... Sure, but can we stay in the back; despite wanting to come here, I'm not fond of crowds huddled together like that one."

"Me either." Jason thought for a moment and tugged her over to the trees off to the side in the back to a picnic table he had spotted earlier. "Most of the people are coming from that direction and want to be in the front," he pointed at where they came from. "So it shouldn't be too bad here. What do you think?"

"It's perfect."

They sat down on the bench together, waiting for the firework show to start.

"Thank you for today..." Samantha laced her fingers through his. "I had fun."

"Shouldn't I be thanking you? You were the one who thought of this place. I didn't even know about it."

"Have you ever been to a carnival or amusement park before?"

"It's been quite a while, but my family went with Roy's a long time ago. I enjoyed the rides quite a bit as a kid, but now, I think the company is what matters the most." He kissed her hand, smiling.

Samantha swooned, unable to hold back her smile. "You're so wise for your age, my love."

"I have my moments..."

A long squeal sound sounded as the fireworks started.

Boom, boom, boom. They exploded in the sky.

"So beautiful," Samantha's eyes sparkled.

"Yeah..." Jason trailed off, staring at her instead of the fireworks. A glint of light behind Samantha caught his eye. A sudden fear overtook him and he tackled Samantha to the ground without thinking.

"Oof... Jay?"

Thump. An arrow planted itself into the table above Jason's head. He glanced at it, his heart racing, and acting quickly, he pulled her over to the nearby tree.

"That was an arrow right?" Jason asked her, struggling to fathom the situation.

"Seems so... We have to get out of here... You have to get out of here; they're after me."

"Are you crazy?!" His yelling was drowned out by more fireworks. "There's no way in hell I'm leaving you here!" Jason peeked around the tree and another arrow flew by, nicking his hair. "Holy crap, that was close. We'll have to use the crowd."