Strategy

"Captain Yamato!" Naruto called out, his voice cutting through the tension in the room.

"Yes, Naruto?" Yamato responded calmly, turning his attention to the agitated shinobi.

"Why?" Naruto's glare shifted toward Sai, frustration evident in his voice. "Why am I teamed up with him?" He stopped mid-sentence as Yamato's stern look made him shrink back, his bravado faltering.

"Is something wrong?" Yamato asked, his tone firm but not unkind.

"N-nothing at all," Naruto quickly replied, trying to hide his unease and standing a bit straighter.

"Good to hear," Yamato said, nodding slightly before looking around at the rest of the team.

"Um, Captain Yamato?" Sakura spoke up, her voice steady but with a hint of concern.

"What is it?" Yamato turned his attention to her, his expression softening slightly.

"If we're forming teams," Sakura suggested, "I think Naruto, Ruka, and I would work better together. We've been working together for a long time, and we know each other's abilities pretty well."

Ruka let out an annoyed sigh, breaking the momentary silence. "It wouldn't be fair for Sai if three of us keep sticking together, don't you think?" She looked away from the flickering fire and met Sakura's gaze with a firm yet understanding look. "We need to start working with others to move on with the mission. If we keep sticking with each other and exclude Sai, I don't think this mission will work well."

"Besides," Ruka continued, her voice growing more resolute, "you're the only medical ninja on this team. We can't afford for you to get injured, and you can't stay with me because I have my own responsibilities. So, you'll be staying with Yamato."

Sakura's eyes flickered with a mix of frustration and understanding as she processed Ruka's words. Ruka glanced up to see Yamato nodding approvingly, his gaze now fixed on Sakura.

"You understand, right?" Yamato asked, his tone encouraging yet firm.

Sakura stared at Ruka for a while, her expression dejected but accepting the necessity of the plan. "Yes," she finally replied, a note of resolve creeping into her voice.

"As Sai said before, we have to assume that this enemy is highly skilled," Yamato interjected, his voice taking on a serious tone. "Any slip-ups in our teamwork could cost us our lives. I have plenty to say on that subject, but for now, let's focus on the mission."

"Right," Sakura responded, her determination rekindled.

"Got it," Naruto replied, his earlier frustration giving way to renewed determination.

Yamato stood up and walked towards the balcony door, opening it to let in the cool night air. The scent of the forest drifted in, mingling with the scent of the oil lamp. "We don't know the exact location of Orochimaru's hideout," he stated, looking out into the distance, "but that Akatsuki spy should be heading towards the bridge right about now." He closed the door and returned to his seat, the room settling into a quiet stillness. "Although I don't regularly do this, we'll do a team simulation tomorrow."

"A simulation?" Naruto asked, his curiosity piqued.

"Yes," Yamato nodded, his expression serious. "The only information I have on you four came from your files. So, I'd like to see your fighting skills and style... with my own eyes. It will also help smooth out any rough spots in your teamwork. You might think I'm being overly cautious, but it's my way of doing things, and you're going along with it."

Ruka, sitting quietly by the fire, couldn't help but let out a soft sigh. "I miss Kakashi," she muttered, the sadness in her voice palpable. Yamato's gaze shifted to her, his expression deadpanned .

The room fell silent for a moment, the weight of their mission settling over them like a heavy shroud. The flickering light from the oil lamp cast long shadows on the walls, making the space feel both intimate and imposing.

Sakura broke the silence, her voice steady. "Alright, let's do this. For Kakashi-sensei."

Naruto nodded vigorously, his resolve firming up. "Yeah! We'll show them what Team 7 is made of!"

Sai, always the observer, simply smiled faintly, his eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and determination. "I'm looking forward to working with all of you," he said, his voice calm.

Yamato watched them, a small smile playing at the corners of his mouth. "Good. Let's get some rest. Tomorrow will be a long day."