Thirty-Nine

All the hairs on your body stood up straight. Goosebumps grew, tightened your skin and made it feel like it was about to rip and tear.

Never before had you sucked in a breath as sharp as in that very moment.

With trembling eyes and bated breath you stood in the door frame and stared at your aunt sitting in your fathers chair.

"I- this can't... are you fucking kidding me?!", you asked and slammed the door shut behind you with such force that the books shook on the shelves. "Why are you here?! I've been trying to call you for ages!"

You smashed your hands down on the table with all the anger and confusion that burned in the pit of your stomach.

But your aunt wasn't impressed. She just smirked. As if he was watching a child throw a tantrum.

With her hands folded in her lap, she swung in the chair for a bit before she stopped, leaned forward and chuckled.

The sound was enough to make your blood freeze.

Taken aback, you pulled away. Somehow you felt like it wasn't a good idea to be close to her.

"Such an impulsive one.", she sighed and pretended to be disappointed. "Your father had such better options for his legacy. But he picked you."

Unable to think straight, you frowned. Your legs moved back on their own, two steps, until you hit one of the chairs that stood ready for guests. You let yourself drop in one.

"What... what even are you talking about?", you had to wipe your face with both hands to not loose your mind in that very moment. "Why are you here? ANSWER ME!"

But once more there was nothing but a smile for you. With a shake of her head she leaned back in your fathers seat again and eyes you from top to bottom.

"Just look at you, (Y/N).", she said as if it were a foolish thing to be you. "Stains all over your clothes. Dressed like some homeless. Sweaty."

For the first time that day you lowered your gaze to have a look at yourself. And she was right. Your clothes were stained all over, some your own and others clearly caused by someone's death.

Swallowing hard, you wiped your forehead with the back of your hand. And once again you had to realise how much of a mess you were. You could feel strands of hair sticking to your skin.

The smell of sweat and dirt stuck to you, mixed with the rotten smell of a corpse.

"Michael is dead...", it was all you managed to press out between clenched teeth and the uprising despair th came with the realisation. "He... He died."

Tears burned in the corners of your eyes as you looked up at her. You had to hold onto the edges of your seat to not jump forward and tear the skin off her face.

Finally, the smile faded. Now it was something between regret and played sorrow that showed on her face.

"He was a good man.", aunt May agreed and sighed. "Unfortunately he wasn't on my side. Charlie had always been his favourite."

As the name of your mother left her mouth you couldn't help but suck in a sharp breath.

"What?", you blinked.

She huffed.

"You heard me. Michael liked Charlie a lot more than me. I don't know why.", she shrugged, absolutely unmoved by the fact. "And he couldn't tell me in his last moments either. He was... a little confused."

Your breath trembled. Hot tears ran down your cheeks.

"You killed him?", it was barely more than a whisper, anything else would have torn your heart apart. "You killed Michael?!"

Your head was spinning. It felt like time and space was about to devour you whole.

With a smack of her lips, May shook her head.

"Don't be ridiculous.", she said. "I freed him from his misery. His brain was rotting way with every breath he took. He wouldn't have been able to protect Herman's legacy no more. And that was his life's task."

Still unable to process things, you grabbed your forehead in an attempt to silence the pain and confusion. Pulling a face, you sunk into your seat.

"W-wait... wait, what are you talking about?", you looked at her through frowned brows. "Make it make sense."

The smile returned to her lips. Now she seemed to be amused by your incapacity to puzzle the pieces together. She acted as if you were supposed to know. And now that she realised that you didn't, she felt the need to degrade you because of it.

"You never found out?", she asked.

You frowned.

"Found out what?"

She shrugged, did a gesture and let her gaze wander down to the family picture of your younger self and your parents. She grabbed it to get a closer look. And as she was done, she just let go.

With a shrill sound the glass shattered on the floor.

"Well, since we have things to discuss, let me tell you the most important thing first.", she leaned forward to look you deep in the eye. "Your fathers words in his will were all crap. That was just his last attempt to mock me."

"What kind of bullshit are you talking, May?!"

"Your father said you were his favourite. I'll admit, that's the truth. But his only child? That was a lie."

A cold shiver crawled down your spine. Frozen with shock and confusion you sat there, motionless, and just stared at her.

There was this expression on her face, so sure of herself, so confident. It was almost plain ignorance.

A lightning of realisation suddenly chased through your mind.

"I was never in that car.", you finally gasped.

With a hum, she nodded.

"Oh, what a smart one you are. You were never in that car. Because Charlie never wanted you to get hurt. You were what she always wanted but couldn't have for so many years. She would have never risked anything with you. Her precious gift of the heavens."

Restless, your eyes wandered over her face in search of an answer.

"Then... who was in that car? Who showed dad where she was?"

A wave of anger crossed May's face.

"It was Felix.", she hissed.