TRUST THE LOVE

What is something that your character fears above all else? Is it loss, failure, embarrassment, loneliness? Whatever you choose, write a scene in which the character is forced to encounter this fear.

*

Alexander Hamilton-Smythe had always been a successful businessman. He had built his empire from scratch and had become one of the wealthiest men in the Caribbean. But all his wealth meant nothing without Sabine, his wife. She was his soulmate, his best friend, and his partner in everything. The woman he had loved since they had met when they were eight years old.

He began to suspect that she was having an affair. He noticed unusual behaviour from her and had even seen some suspicious messages on her phone. He tried to brush it off, but the more he thought about it, the more it consumed him. Finally, he could not take it anymore. He confronted her in their luxurious villa overlooking the ocean.

"I know that you are having an affair." His voice trembling with emotion.

Sabine was taken aback by the accusation. "What are you talking about?" she asked, her eyes wide with surprise.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," Alexander replied, his anger rising. "I've seen the messages on your phone, and I've noticed the way you've been acting lately. You are cheating on me!"

Sabine's jawline hardened, "No, English, I'm not cheating on you, I love you, and I would never do anything to hurt you. Though somehow that doesn't seem to be enough. And why are you checking my phone?"

But Alexander was not convinced. He continued to press her, demanding to know the truth. Sabine tried to reassure him, but he was too consumed by his fear to listen.

Finally, she had had enough. "You know what, English?" she said, her voice rising. "You're so consumed by your fear of losing me that you're pushing me away. I'm not having an affair, and I never have. You're imagining the whole thing. Maybe we need some time apart, you obviously you need the distance to think."

"A separation? You will leave me?" Alexander was stunned. He had never considered that he might be wrong or that she'd leave. The one thing he didn't want! He had been so blinded by his fear that he had created a scenario in his head that wasn't even true. He was creating a self-fulling prophecy.

"I... I'm sorry, Peanut," he stammered. "I didn't mean to accuse you. It's just that... I love you so much, and the thought of losing you terrifies me."

Sabine's expression softened. "I know, English," she said, taking his hand. "But you have to trust me. I would never do anything to jeopardize our relationship. You really need to get control."

Alexander nodded, feeling ashamed of himself. "I do trust you, Peanut," he said. "I'm sorry for not believing you."

Sabine smiled, and the tension between them dissipated. They sat together on the balcony, watching the sun set over the ocean, holding hands.

In the end, he realized that his greatest fear had been unfounded. It took time for Alexander to fully trust Sabine, after all, she had never explained her unusual behaviour. He was left to assume it was work-related.

2 April 2023

US Copyright Registration No. TXu 2-133-118