CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE — let her cook!

---

Ochaco's eyes widened in shock as she stared at Y/n in disbelief. "Eh?! You rejected Recovery Girl's recommendation letter?!" she exclaimed,

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. After all, this was Recovery Girl, the highly esteemed doctor from U.A. High School, one of the most prestigious schools in Japan!

To receive a recommendation letter from her was almost a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that anyone would have been grateful for!

"Mhm." Y/n nodded, wiping over the wet dishes. "She mentioned something about being a hero. I just can't see myself going off to be one."

Ochaco's mind was racing with questions. Did Y/n not realize how lucky she was to receive such a recommendation? Was she unaware of the doors that would have opened for her? But as she looked at Y/n's calm expression, she realized that perhaps there was more to this decision than met the eye.

But ultimately, Ochaco was a bit disappointed that Y/n wouldn't be her classmate. She had been a bit anxious about attending U.A and having someone you know would be reassuring.

A voice behind her made Y/n jump. "Why not?"

Ah, it was just Lunch Rush.

"I don't believe in using my powers for violence," Y/n replied, her voice low.

The cooking hero raised an eyebrow. "Violence? Is that what you think being a hero is all about?"

Y/n hesitated, unsure of how to respond. She had never really considered what being a hero meant, beyond the flashy fight she had seen on television, "I guess I never really thought about it," she admitted.

"It's not really all about fighting, you can still help in other ways, like with rescue, or support." The hero chuckled, "But for some, being a hero is about protecting people," he said. "It's about using your powers for the greater good. And sometimes, that means fighting."

Y/n nodded slowly, weighing his words. "But I don't like fighting," she said softly.

The hero nodded in understanding, placing down the groceries in his hands. "That's okay," he said, patting her on her shoulder. "Just do what you like doing, Mob."

Lunch Rush's small kitchen was alive with the rhythmic chopping of vegetables and the sizzling of pans on the stove. He worked with a practiced ease, moving from station to station with grace and precision. Finally, after what seemed like seconds, he presented the two girls with bowls of steaming hot food, the aroma wafting up to their noses and making their stomachs growl.

Ah, Ramen.

"Try it," Lunch Rush said, a smile on his face as he gestured towards the bowls.

Ochaco eagerly took a bite, her taste buds exploding with flavor. She gasped in surprise, her eyes wide with delight. "This is amazing," she said, looking up at Lunch Rush with awe.

The hero chuckled, his chest swelling with pride. "Of course, it is," he said. "I'm a pro, after all."

Y/n closed her eyes and sipped the rich broth, feeling it warm her from the inside out.

It tasted good, too good in fact.

There was no doubt about it that Lunch Rush was truly a pro.

It wasn't like the cheap and mediocre noodles that Reigen and her would sometimes settle for after a long day of exorcising spirits in the city. The noodles were chewy, and the meat was a bit firm,