Chapter 5... Awake.

Aolani.

Someone was moving beside me. I didnt like it. I wasnt comfortable not knowing who was beside me. I cracked my eyes open and shut them immediately because of the bright light above me, I dont know where I am. I dont like that.

I said no! he was still holding my hand. I dont want him holding my hand.

Did daddy ever tell you how pretty you are? I dont want to be pretty. I dont want to.

Ill show you I dont want to be shown I dont

Dwaine! Joel! Help, please help! Hands were holding me down; my voice was raspy, and it hurt. Im sorry, please let me go! I-I wont tell! I wont! I finally registered the rapid beeping. Im in a hospital, Im safe.

Aolani, youre safe. Im doctor Athena Andrews. Youre safe.

Hes not here, right? He wont get me, right?

Hes not here youre safe. I need you to relax okay.

I suddenly feel drowsy, and I nod involuntarily as I begin to fall back asleep.

~~~~

My eyes land on the hands holding mine and I immediately pull away feeling very uncomfortable with any form of body contact. Its the second time Ive woken up but the first time seeing a face I recognize. Dwaine is, was, holding my hand and behind him Joel is sleeping on the couch, Soto is pacing while talking into the phone and doing a bad job trying to keep his voice down. He looks livid, the person must have popped a fuse because he is quite patient. Maui had his hands in his hair, and I could make out bags below his eyes. Everyones eyes had bags.

Guys, I think shes awake Dwaine said calling the others.

Lani, do you feel okay? Asides the slight headache and soreness of my body I feel okay, but I could not help but notice the hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach. I move my legs to get comfy only to wince at the sting I got from between my leg. As if being triggered I saw his face again. I swallowed then felt the dryness in my throat. I looked to my side and reached for the cup of water there, I rushed it down choking on it but continued non the less. By the time I was finished I was a coughing and spluttering mess.

Easy there. Dont rush. I heard Sotos calming voice in my ears but once he touched me, I jerked away.

She might not want people touching her because of what happened. I heard a strange voice then latched ono Soto again, I didnt trust anyone who I didnt know. Its okay Lani, its just the doctor I still didnt care, I hid my face in his shirt. The doctor came over any way. Aolani, Im doctor Athena Andrews and I will be your doctor while youre here. She made me calm down, I knew her, I wasnt sure if could trust her though. I peeped at her from behind Sotos shirt and caught her waving at me. I let go slightly of Sotos shirt and nodded at her.

Aolani, do you feel pain anywhere? I nod where? I swallow before speaking.

Between my legs, my head, my whole-body hurts

Aolani, do you remember anything that happened to you. I nod feeling the tear that runs down my face. Will you be okay if I brought some people in tomorrow to ask you questions? I feel Soto tense beside me. He cut me off before I could say anything.

She just woke up cant we leave this till much later?

Im afraid not Mr. Soto. The longer we wait the less evidence we have. The person that did this is no longer visible to the authoritys eye. Were counting on her testimony to fined him and put him away. I do understand your concern but for her to heal she must feel safe and the only way we can do that right now is to put that man away.

I ll talk to whomever but please can my brothers be here and maybe my mom? I saw her eyes shift to my brothers at the mention of mom. Is mom, okay? Why are you guys looking at each other like that? My eyes widen in fear when I think of something Did he get her too?

No, no mom is fine, she just went into shock twice so shes being monitored. Dwaine said. I wanted to ask about dad, but I remember that he let this happen to me. On second thought I really dont care if hes dead.

Ill answer your questions tomorrow with my brothers present. I dont want to be in a room full of strangers.

No problem. I will let you rest now She turned to my brothers and asked them to leave.

No, I want them here. I want them to stay with me. Doctor Athena nods before excusing herself.

I lay back down turning the other way and stare out the window really wanting to hug Yul.