Where am I?

It was cold.

That was her first thought when she was slowly regaining her consciousness. She could hear the crackling sound of the fire from some torches nearby.

She heard some muffled noises from the sound of a different room. She opened her eyes and was welcomed with a dimly lit room.

As she looked around she noticed she was on a small mattress in what seemed to be perhaps a space for the bed. There was a glass barrier with a door and a latch on the other side.

She reached over the glass and messed with the latch until it came undone. When she unhooked it, she opened the little glass gate and got to the edge of the... bed? Is that what it is?

She looked at the quartz ground and stepped down. It was a lot colder outside of that little cubby thing she was just in. The blue shirt the caretakers put her in was warm, yes, but it wasn't quite enough to keep a lot of her body heat in.

She heard more chatter and little giggles outside of the room she was in. She wondered where exactly she was and where the others were.

Were they also put into rooms like this? Where was this room? Who is making all of those noises? Where were the caretakers?

She continued to look around, the room was pretty dark. It was only lit with the dim lights that were illuminated by the fire of a couple torches that looked like they would burn out soon, and embers of some that already had.

There were patches of dirt scattered around the room with some jagged rocks that seemed to have broken, how that happened she had no clue.

There was a trap door on the ground at the other side of the room with light shining through it. She walked over and knelt down by the little door. A shiver went down her spine as her hands touched the cold ground.

She grabbed the handle and pulled as hard as she could but the door barely moved. There were more sounds and she could hear familiar laughter coming from downstairs. She tried to yell but her throat hurt from the smoke of the torches in the room.

The girl's long brown hair fell over her face as she continued to try and pry open the hatch. Her hands hurt, the handle was a little slick, and no matter how hard she tried it didn't work.

She let go of the handle and got up onto her feet. She looked down at the door in the dim light and was determined to get it open.

She squatted down and grabbed the handle once more. Once she got a tight grip on it she pulled it once more. She was trying to stand to see if it would help, but nothing was working.

She kept pulling, her grip was loosening and her arms hurt but she didn't care. But eventually her hands slipped off and she stumbled and fell backwards onto the ground with a light thud.

She groaned and laid there for a bit just listening to the people downstairs muffled voices. Some sounded young and familiar and others sounded older and unrecognizable.

She listened to the young giggling of the people she spent time with while they were being taken care of by the caretakers. She heard the sounds of shuffling and those little glass gates opening. She had no idea what was going on, what time it was, or where exactly she was.

All she knew was that she was alone. Sure there were people below her, but she didn't think they knew she was there. If they did, wouldn't they have come and got her?

She continued to listen to the voices and heard some become more faint. She could hear buttons being pressed and the longer she listened, the less voices she heard.

She could hear people coming and going and each time someone left, there would be another person gone as well. She was so confused as to what was going on and had no idea what to do.

She was trapped in this room and couldn't get out. She didn't even know what time it was! So how could she keep track of how long she's been there?

As she still laid there, she looked down by her feet where the door was. She sighed and stood back up. Her hands hurt and she went back over to the cubby room thingy. She crawled back into the... space, with the little mattress.

She didn't know what to do, she couldn't exactly call for help because it sounded like everyone left, and she made loads of noises before and no one came. So she simply closed her eyes and hummed a little melody trying to make herself feel better. She fell back asleep, with the hopes that this entire thing was just a nightmare.

— Authors note:
Jeez this is hard! I have been procrastinating so much. And it makes it so difficult that Tallulah doesn't get her name until she meets Wilbur! Plus I also need to make drawings for the covers!

Anyway. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Make sure to get rest, drink water, eat something, and get a little bit of sunlight! Have a good day/night!
(not sure if I'll continue doing these notes)