Chapter 8: Look At the Past

She dropped through the latch above her bed and called, "Tikki spots off". Marinette took in shaky breaths as she ruffled her hands through her hair before drawing her knees to her chest.

"Marinette?" Tikki called in a soft voice.

Tears welled up in the corners of her eyes as she attempted to ease her breathing. The other kwamis peeked out from their box but had learned that Tikki was the best chance at calming their guardian.

"Tikki I was so mean to him," she sobbed.

"Oh, Marinette. You were just trying to help him. You care about him."

The teen choked back more tears. "I care about him so much Tikki. I want to love him like that, I really do. He's been my partner through so much." Her companion began to stroke her hair as she spoke. "It's not like the idea has never crossed my mind. But even if I did, we couldn't be together, at least not now."

"Marinette I have something to say to you but you need to listen ok?" The red bug waited for a nod before continuing. "I think you should go out with Adrien."

"But Tikki-"

"No Marinette. You keep saying how you have to hold people at arm's length but think about this. You told Alya and now you two are closer than ever. You let your parents in a little bit and they seemed so happy to help you. Why can't you do the same for Adrien?"

"Tikki you know what happens, we've played this game before, I can't. I can't put him through that."

"But it's not the same as before! Marinette you've grown so much this last year. Alya can help you now! Just because you're the guardian doesn't mean you have to stop being a teenager."

The teen slouched over her knees and looked up at her friend. "Do you really think it'll be okay?"

Tikki nodded as a small smile grew on her face. "I really do. You deserve this Marinette, especially after everything that has happened."

"Alright, Tikki."

A buzz sounded from her phone in her pocket. She pulled it out curiously.

Hey, can we talk soon?

_________________

Adrien brushed his hands down his pants as he waited. He checked his watch for the fifth time, ten minutes till noon, that's what they agreed on. It had been a few days since his conversation with Ladybug had happened. Thank God he didn't have any more modeling shoots. He looked down at the ice cream in his hand worried it would melt before she joined him.

Suddenly, she ran past him into a bench before falling over it. "Ow! I'm sorry I'm so sorry I'm late there was this thing with my mom and yeah I'm sorry."

The corner of his lip rose to a soft smile. "It's alright Marinette, you're actually not that late. I showed up earlier than we planned."

He walked over to the bench she had toppled over and handed her the ice cream. Adrien took the seat next to her and eyed her wariness.

"Sorry, I just...Thank you, I love Andre's strawberry and blueberry ice cream."

He took out two spoons for them to share, and they fell into silence as they ate.

"So, Marinette, what have you been up to this summer? I haven't really heard from you since we hung out a few weeks ago. Have you been working on something?"

She swallowed her bite of ice cream and looked around the area before responding. "...Um, no nothing really. I feel like I've been busy though. I'm just helping my parents in the bakery more. It's been kind of nice having school off, fewer things to worry about."