50. Overcast

Overcast Memoria ( Yuki's Point of View Part 10 )

I began to walk in the direction that Kurai went. Once I finally found her, she turned around to look at me.

"They're gone."

"What?" I asked in hopes she'd clarify so I don't misunderstand.

"The demons. Their presence all just vanished. I could sense a little left but... It was too sudden for them to just be killed." She said, worry evident in her pink eyes.

"Maybe they got scared. I mean, us all together probably killed a good amount, right?"

"I..." Kurai stopped herself from speaking her thoughts. "Let's head back to the clearing. We should wait for anyone left to show up." Her words felt empty as she began to quickly walk to the clearing. I watched her silently before starting to follow her as fast as I could.

As we navigated our way through the trees, just as the clearing was starting to come into view I noticed Kurai slowly turn her head to the side before quickly looking forward once more.

When I followed where her gaze went, I noticed something small standing in the trees watching us. It was hard to make out in the darkness besides its bright yellow eyes.

Was it a cat?

I ignored the meaningless curiosity and continued walking behind Kurai. I grew full of concern once she froze in place, her eyes wide in horror.

Without hesitation, I moved past her quickly into the clearing.

"Please... Yuki, Keiko is in danger... Please..." Hiro's words rang in my head like a painful taunt as the horrific sight brought me to a realization I didn't want to believe.

I watched as Natsumi walked to Keiko's detached torso and pried a katana from her hands.

I felt sick from regret. I wanted to throw up.

I tried to cover my mouth and hold down the vomit moving up my throat. I fell to my knees and let it out onto the grass.

"You killed him. For nothing." The voice in my head laughed. "You couldn't protect anyone."

I tried to ignore the voice as tears brimmed in my eyes. My throat was burning, the thought of what I did clenching at my heart. I felt as if just now I gained clarity on everything.

Why was it like this? Why am I like this?

It doesn't make sense.

Why Natsumi? How could Natsumi even do this?

She was born human wasn't she?

So why are there demons here?

I looked up when I heard fast footsteps charging at me. Before Natsumi could strike, Kurai quickly stood in front of me and blocked the attack with her sword.

Natsumi pressured hard against Kurai to break her defense. But Kurai was more skilled in swordplay. She moved her sword quickly and it cut the side of Natsumi's head. As her hair fell from where the cut was, white smoke pooled around the wound.

Just like my black smoke, it stitched the wound shut, except she healed at an insane speed.

Why was it like mine? Was this a part of her magic?

But it wouldn't make sense.

Different gods give different powers. Don't they?

Kurai pulled her sword back to prepare for another piercing strike, but before it could land a large white tentacle quickly grew from her side and shielded her from the attack.