All alone (Ch 3)

I sat there on the pavement as the helicopter flew out of sight. Tears streaming down my face. How could they leave me like this? My crying was interrupted as I realized the horde of the infected was coming closer.  What's the point anyways I'm going to die anyway why not just die today? The sky was cloudy, the neighbourhood was empty, and the air had a rotten smell to it. Is this the world I would die in? A world where there is no more prolonged happiness where there is no longer peace, where there is no longer family. It's time to face my fate today is the day I day.

As the wind hits my face, I close my eyes and think of all the memories I shared with my mom and dad. I could hear the unruly growling coming closer and closer. My heart was racing and I started to breathe heavily. I open my eyes to see the horrifying faces of the "infected". Their eyes were bloodshot red and their body mostly rotten what once use to be human was now a monster. 

Tingles went down my spine and that's when fear got me running faster than I ever could. I ran so fast and didn't look behind horrified of what lies behind me. I was supposed to sit there and accept my death instead adrenaline coursed through my veins so I ran. To where that might be, I don't know but I do know I have to get out of here. keeping my breath steady I pushed harder and harder. The wind whipped hair back from my face as the cold air bit into my lungs. My breaths are sharp and abrupt, and my eyes are welling up with tears. Fear pours over me as I consider the potential of having my life cut short.  

From the corner of my eye, I notice a forest with fencing around it. Maybe there are no infected there? I climb over the tall cold metal fence and land on my knees. The air had the smell of damp wood after rainfall. The wind was whistling through the trees the ground with leaves that crunch beneath my feet. The clanging of the fence interrupted my peace. The bloodthirsty infected were right behind the fence growling hungry for flesh. Fear kicked in again as I forced my aching legs to hustle. The rustling of the leaves underneath the sharp thorns rip at me and I'm sure I have a few cuts from that. I stop to catch my breath as I gasp for breath loudly. The corner of my eyes blur as I began to relax. A loud bang filled the atmosphere as I jolted backwards on the gritty ground. I couldn't comprehend what had just happened until I notice the blood on my shirt. Had I just been shot? The whole world had become a blur and the mumbled sounds of footsteps were the last things I heard before everything went black.

Continue reading to see what happens next ;)