Straight outta horror movie

Warnings: standard Resident Evil warnings, mentions of alcohol, depictions of descriptive gore, blood, torture, death, occult stuff, violence, cursing, strong language (let me know if I missed anything else)

Filth latched on you. Its gross dampness oozed through the white fabric, violating the personal space that was your skin.

One more.

Just one more miscalculated step and you'd lose your well-kept balance, plummeting face first into the dirty, wet earth.

"Why am I even here?"

An upbeat cheer was your friend's response to your unending gripe. "You can do it! I believe in you."

"I don't believe in myself."

Sam was standing atop a boulder just ahead of you with her hands on her hips. "I thought you said you wanted to be adventurous for a change?"

"I said I needed a get-away from the city, not go hiking in this damn weather!" you fired back.

Of course you had terrible luck sliding across mud whilst traversing through the thick forest. Flailing around midway to steady yourself only did you more bad than good when your foot landed on an ankle-deep hole in the soil— you ought the universe likes to be cruel to you in that way.

Your other companion attempted to console your frustrations by extending a helping hand. "This is a sign that you should go out more so you can keep up with us." With Peter's efforts, he yanked you out of your misery and navigated you through the safety of an even ground.

"I do, just not with you two."

"Hurry, hurry!" Sam jogged onwards with a rushing Peter behind her.

"Wait up!"

You stood there dumbfounded, your grumbles of protest soon ignored as they playfully shoved each other all the way to an overview of the massive woods. "Yeah, don't mind me. I'm basically just air."

While they soaked in the presence of nature, snapping multiple photos of the same scenery— everywhere you looked were just rows of trees dimmed into the gathering fog— you busied yourself by sitting next to a withering plant, popping your sludge-filled sneaker off.

You deflated at its state. My shoe.

"We're almost there." The ever so enthusiastic Sam motioned at the path beyond. She withdrew a worn-out map from her bag, waving it off with a wide smile, before flipping it right open. It left you wondering how old the poor thing was, seemed like one more careless unfolding and she would tear it apart herself out of excitement. "It says here there's only a mile until the gates of the abandoned church."

"It feels like I'm in a horror movie about dumb teens walking to their death," you said flatly, back hunched as you tapped the disgusting residues out of your shoe.

"Don't make me drag you by your legs." Your vacant stare glazed over hers. As if she would be able to without cracking a back or two. "Look, I promise you, it's going to be an awesome experience."

"Not when we're walking right into cannibalistic territory."

"Don't worry," Peter piped up, sending you a small grin, "I don't think they're going to be interested in your guts anyways."

"Good, they can start chowing you down first."

Sam eagerly clapped her hands together. "Alright! Less talking, more climbing. Let's go."