Prologue

*BEFORE READING* Please note that this is my work. Plagiarism is punishable by law. Anyone who will be caught copying this work will not be tolerated.

—- This is my first attempt in writing a novel and this is based on a true story. However, some parts or scenarios will be added in the latter which are completely fictional.

Prologue

Break the chain

     "May I have a smoke before we ride the bus?" I asked Stella, my live-in partner. Yes, I have a live-in partner at a very young age of 18 years old. I met her in college, I was in third year by that time  while she was on her second year. She is a skinny girl with a fair skin tone, about 5'6" in height and you will barely see her without her make-up on. Every day after class she would ask me to buy her new nail polishers which are used for nail art. It's not like I have a choice to refuse though I think it goes against my principle of always being practical. Well, I bet all girls share the same sentiments but I'm more mesmerized by girls with their natural beauty.

 We are both taking our bachelor's degree in elementary education in the same university.  How ironic it is that we want to have the noblest profession of all while having a relationship that society might think as immoral. 

"Okay, just hurry up. I don't want to be late, understood?" Stella said with a commanding voice. I just shook my head affirming my assent. It's been part of my daily routine to smoke at least one cigarette with mint flavor before going to school. I know that smoking is not good for my health but I just can't get enough of it. I can't resist having the soothing feeling of puffing the smoke out of my mouth and nostrils.

"Hey, I said hurry up! What is taking you so long?" Her angry voice gave me the chills. She's the type of girl that you don't want to have collision with.

"Okay, chill, just one last puff." Right after it a bus came and as promised, we rode the bus and I sat next to the window like I always did.  For me it is the best seat among others. I've always wanted to have a clear view of where I am heading every now and then. I also use it to kill some time for me not to think of how long the ride is taking me. Luckily, it always does the trick.

"Matt!" Stella suddenly shouted.

"What's with the sudden outburst?" I responded. "I forgot that I have an essay type of assignment regarding the four pillars of education!" She said with a trembling voice denoting her fear that she might not be able to pass her assignment on time.

"You should have your notes checked earlier!" I said angrily. I really got pissed of. It's always been like this. What I hate the most is when a person is being irresponsible especially when it comes to studies. What made it worst was that out of all people, she was the one doing it most of the time. 

"Enough! I know it's my fault. Just help me with this please?" She pouted her lips and looked at me like a little girl asking for candy.

"Geez! It's always like this. Why do I have to carry the baggage and consequences of her faults?" I whispered to myself while scratching the back of my head.

"As if I have a choice. I'll do it later." I mumbled with a disappointed tone.

It's not like I don't want to help her out but since the day that we lived together she had been leaning to me too much. It's like I'm the one studying for her. I wonder what sorcery can I use to make her responsible enough.

After a 40-minute ride we arrived at school safely and headed straight to my classroom.

"Where are your notes? Hurry up and give it to me so I can start making your homework." I asked her politely.

"Here, just give it to me once you're done. I'll just be in our room. Make sure that you're done before our professor arrives, okay?" She said with a sweet voice. She's always like that, sweet when she needs something and acts "like a boss" when she doesn't.

"Well then, I better finish this one quickly." I uttered.

I read her notes for few times and after getting the thought of it I started writing her essay. "Phew, I really hate working under time pressure. I can't get the right words for this shit!" I whispered as I slammed the pen on my desk because of frustration.

"Bro, what's up? What are you doing? We don't have any assignments right?",

Mc asked me.

Mc is my classmate since first year and the first one that I'm closed with. He is tall and skinny with white skin and an embossed cheek bones that me and my friends are making fun off.

"Oh this? This is Stella's home work" I answered.

He grinned at me and said, "Are you his homie or something?" He laughed in a very annoying manner.

 "Get lost before I punch you in the face, jerk!"

"Relax bro,I was just pulling your leg. Just finish that, our class is about start." He reminded me.  

Mc's word calling me a homie really got into my nerves. Truth really hurts, don't they? It's only been a month or two since Stella and I started living together and there's something about her that I can't handle. I know that I should accept all of her flaws as her partner but it is so much easier said than done. If only I could, I would. I thought relationships meant to be happily ever after but now I learned that my childhood was nothing but a big lie as I lived every day of my life with the cold feeling of chains that are all wrapped up around my wrists, ankles, and neck. In the time being, I'm unscathed physically by her but my heart is shredding into pieces. How long will I be able to take all this? That is the answer I need to find sooner or later because my whole life is on the line if I will make the wrong decision.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Please vote and leave a comment. I accept all sorts of constructive criticism.