7

-----Y/n's pov

Tatum's haphazard driving didn't help calm my nerves, or my stomach, as she sped towards to impressive Macher mansion. I didn't care about how I looked, or what people thought of me, none of that was causing the flurry of anxiety blossoming in the pit of my stomach- it was the feeling, the dreadful feeling, that this party wouldn't be fun. Tatum was usually upbeat and excited for a girl who'd recently been broken up with, which made my mind drift to the possibility that she'd drank a little before our trip.

'N/n? what's wrong with you you're... unusually quiet.' Tate murmured, taking a hand off the steering wheel to squeeze one of my hands.

I was always quiet, never adding a whole lot to conversations, preferring to listen, laugh and enjoy the closeness, but if Tatum picked up on it, it was probably more obvious.

'I'm fine, just... paranoid, I guess.' I sighed, offering her a weak smile.

'it'll be fine, there's plenty of people there, and there'll be guys from the football team there too, if anything happens- which it wont.' Tate smiled, taking a sip from the cola resting in the cup holder.

-----

I felt a bit sick and clammy as we climbed out of Tatum's sweet little beetle, hauling like 6 plastic bags filled to the brim with various heart-attack-inducing foods and drinks. the house wasn't decorated for Halloween in any shape or form, but people were in lazily slapped-together costumes, which made me feel better about our lack of effort. music was playing so loud i could feel the vibrations in my feet as we stepped into the house, and the shouts of people trying to communicate made me want to close up even more.

I looked around the hallway as if I'd never seen it before, and as we walked past the living room, I could hear Randy ranting to someone- probably a poor, unfortunate girl- about Texts Chainsaw Massacre. it made me smile a little, it felt normal in a recently cruel and unforgiving environment.

we entered the kitchen to finally put the unnaturally heavy bags down on the island, where Stu, and other stupid boys, were encouraging someone on the floor to chug. I was disgusted but fascinated at the same time as some beer trickled down his chin, his face redder and his eyebrows furrowed in determination and concentration.

'think whatever you want, but you have to admit, that is impressive.' Tate mumbled into my ear, sliding a beer to me. 'food's here guys!' she called loudly, causing yells and cheers of relief and joy.

we were quite quickly pushed into the hallway by the surprisingly large amount of people absolutely desperate for food, but we decided not to take offence and instead wandered into the living room, where Randy was having a vote.

'Hellraisers it is.' Randy nodded, throwing 'Evil Dead' onto a pile with various other titles i couldn't quite make out before we crashed down on the sofa.

he turned his back to me, fiddling with the VHS. Jamie Lee Curtis was in all the movies he'd brought. Tatum also noticed, but decided to speak up- a brave choice.

'why's Jamie Lee Curtis in all of these?'

'cause, she's the Scream Queen.' Randy mumbled, backing up to the sofa and falling between Tatum and I.

'yeah, with that set of lungs, she should be.' Stu chuckled, sauntering up behind us, the alcohol he'd drank starting to become obvious.

he held a beer bottle loosely by its neck, and as he went to take a swig, some sort of realisation seemed to dawn on him and he passed it gently over Randy's head, onto the floor with numerous other bottles.

'Tatum, be a doll and fetch me some beer.' he instructed, a lazy grin on his face as he tried to look at Tatum.

'no! what am I, a beer wench?' she scoffed, looking past Randy at me with an annoyed look on her face.