Chapter IV - Mere Mock

"Very well then, young warrior. I can see the fire in your heart. If you truly wish to pursue the kyōki, then I will help you." The young warrior nodded eagerly, grateful for the elder's support. "Thank you, wise one. What must I do to begin my training?" he asked.

The elder smiled kindly. "First, you must learn to control your mind and body. The kyōki requires discipline and focus. You must learn to meditate and quiet your mind so that you can harness your energy and direct it toward your goals. You must also train your body so that you are strong and agile enough to face any challenge."

The young warrior listened intently, eager to learn more. "What else must I do?" he asked.

"You must also learn to understand the world around you," the elder continued. "The kyōki is not just about physical strength and agility. It is also about spiritual awareness and emotional intelligence. You must learn to see the interconnectedness of all things and cultivate compassion for others. Only then can you truly master the kyōki."

Akio spent the next five days training at the temple in preparation for his quest to become an oni venator. He woke up every morning before sunrise and started his day with a light breakfast of rice, miso soup, and green tea.

His first training session of the day was focused on physical endurance and strength. He ran for miles around the temple grounds, lifted heavy stones, and performed various callisthenics to build up his body. Though he was naturally skinny, Akio was determined to push himself to his physical limits, wanting to become stronger for the battles he would soon face.

After a short break for lunch, Akio's training shifted to focus on his mental and spiritual strength. He meditated for hours, working to clear his mind and focus his energy. The monks at the temple taught him various breathing techniques to help him calm his mind and control his emotions.

In the evening, Akio trained in combat techniques with the elder who had come to the temple to assist with his training. The old man taught him various forms of martial arts, emphasizing the importance of speed and agility in fighting oni.

Throughout his training, Akio's determination and focus impressed the monks and the man. He pushed himself to his limits every day, driven by a burning desire to succeed. His kind heart and willingness to learn also endeared him to the monks, who respected his humility and dedication to the path of the oni venator.

On the fifth and final day of his training, Akio received the kyōki, a potent emblem that solidified his position as an oni venator. As the kyōki was placed in his hands, a surge of energy coursed through his body, igniting a fire within him. It was a remarkable weapon, resembling a reaper's scythe, with a compact handle and a prominent, razor-sharp blade. Holding it, Akio sensed the weight of responsibility and the potential it held to protect and vanquish the oni.

However, as he wielded his new kyōki, he realized that something was off. It didn't feel as powerful as he had expected, and he struggled to control its energy. His attacks were weaker than he had hoped, and his movements were sluggish.

Akio was disheartened and wondered if he had failed somehow in his training. He approached the old man, who saw the disappointment on Akio's face and asked what was wrong.

"I don't think my kyōki is very strong," Akio said. "My attacks feel weak and I can't seem to control it properly."

The old man nodded. "Ah, I see. It is true that your kyōki is not as powerful as some of the others. But that does not mean it is not useful."

He went on to explain that each oni venator's kyōki was unique and suited to their individual strengths and weaknesses. Akio's kyōki may be weaker in raw power, but it had other benefits that he could discover and utilize in his own way.