2 • capital l

a few weeks went by and I luckily have been able to avoid her by strategically handing her off to my co-workers for weak week, 3 weeks in her case. I'd see her shuffling bringing coffee orders to other developers, getting handed tasks that weren't completed at the end of the day, and having to deal with the worst office culture.

I, on the other hand got to enjoy this time watching her being tormented, all from my doing. "Alex, Where is the intern?" Landon asks interrupting my thoughts. "I think she's getting Mark a snack right now, I don't know, I'm not her keeper." I start typing an email for my team. This week has been crammed and I love it. We been trying to get rid of a couple bugs on the site. We only have one left but it's been hours and nothing is working. "Weak Week is over. She's supposed to be training with you right now. I'm going to go get her and when she gets back, you're going to work together to get rid of that bug since you can't do it yourself." Landon walks off and I roll my eyes. I could be an exterminator with the amount of times I've had to debug our site. Landon barges back into my office with Devin trailing behind him. "Now, fix that bug...together." He closes the door behind him and Devin sits in her seat.

I pull out my walking pad and raise my desk, I work best when my whole body is into it. I walk slowly at first but after 40 minutes, I become frustrated after my lines haven't been woking. I increase my pace and so do my fingers. "Can you please be quiet?!" Devin says running a hand through her jet black curls. I wonder what her hair regime is, her hair is gorgeous. "No, I need my steps. 695,000 Americans died from heart disease in 2021. Not me though, my heart is made of steel." I say before a string of unsuitable office words run from my mouth, how many times can I rewrite this line of code?

"Will you stop if I get rid of the bug?" She says spinning in her chair. "Ha! You think you can get rid of it, be my guest." I laugh. I hop off my pad and over to her desk, watching as she starts to type. Me and my team have been working day in and night trying to get rid of this things and she thinks she can just get rid of it. She sends her attempt and we wait seeing if the higher ups will approve the request. Soon after, a green notification appears signaling that her line was approved. My jaw dropped and I heard Mark cheer "FUCK YEAH BABY!" next door.

She turns in her chair looking up at me with a smirk, "All you idiots had to do was capitalize the L." She laughs. How could I forget something so simple? "Close your mouth, unless your going to use it to say thank you Devin." She pushes my mouth closed with her index finger. I feel my vein going once again and I decide to take my break before I strangle her.

I grab Nia from her office and tell her we're going on break. "I've never seen your vein this much, we need to make a name for them. Hm, how about Archie." Nia laughs. I remain silent as we cross the street heading to my favorite place. I treat myself every Friday with a Venti Iced Chai Latte, Sub for Oat Milk, 2 Pumps of Brown Sugar, and Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam. Honestly, it's what keeps my heart pumping. "I just don't understand, how did I forget to capitalize the L?" I whine. At this point, I should be paying her by the hour. "Babe, You need to relax. its an easy mistake we've all made. When's the last time you've gone out? I swear it's been months." She explains as we walk back into the office.

It had been months I've been burying myself in my work and have forgotten the best part about my job was supposed to be the work life balance. "You're right, you're right. I need to get back out there, have some fun, let loose." I say hyping myself up. "Well, i'm going out tonight with some of my girls? You know you're always invited, I love getting your granny ass drunk." She laughs and I do too, thinking of all the fun we have. "Okay, yeah I'll see about tonight."

It hits 9:00pm and Nia is texting me about coming over to pre game but I'm already in my robe, face mask on, watching tv with dobby.

Alex 🥺: hey girl, don't hate me but i'm just gonna stay at home tonight.

Nia 🫀: I already knew you weren't coming girl 🙄 but next time I'm dragging your lil ass out the house or i'll give dobby back to Lucious!!

I laugh and put my phone on the charger feeling myself fall asleep.

comment/share/vote 😙