Chapter 10 | The Past

A/N; Add the book to your library!

-

The next morning, Sera awoke with a pounding headache. Not only had she ventured into the dark forest in the middle of the night, but she also took her sweet time returning to her village house.

The morning sunrays assaulted her eyes before she could find proper rest.

"Sister, Genghis is here! Open the door!" Emerald's voice echoed through her bedroom door.

"Mm, I feel sick, Em," she croaked in response.

Emerald's footsteps gradually faded away. Sera couldn't resist the temptation to close her eyes once more.

Unintentionally, she drifted off into a deep slumber. The exhaustion from her nighttime excursion finally caught up with her. However, her peaceful sleep was abruptly interrupted yet again.

"Sera, wake up," her dear friend called out.

Kara rapped on the door with urgency, startling Sera. She squinted her eyes and surveyed her surroundings. The sunlight rudely greeted her face.

She sat up in bed, still dizzy from the lack of proper sleep. She was certain her fatigue would be evident on her face. Summoning her strength, she rose to her feet.

Sera's figure was smaller compared to Jane's. Jane possessed the body of a queen—strong and healthy. Jane had broad shoulders, while Sera's were slightly more slender. Nevertheless, her form was still remarkable, whether perceived as fragile or not.

She made her way towards the door and opened it in one swift motion.

"Yes?" she inquired, her voice unchanged but tinged with illness.

Kara hurriedly entered and closed the door behind her. Her expression displayed clear signs of worry, and her body language exuded anxiety.

"You look terrible," were the first words to escape Kara's lips.

Sera nodded quickly, her eyes still struggling to fully open. She took a seat in the nearest chair and clutched her head with her hands.

"Did you not get enough sleep?" Kara asked once more.

"I believe that might be the issue."

"We have bigger problems," Kara whispered, her eyes darting towards the window. Her movements froze as she continued to observe something outside.

Sera leaned forward, aligning her line of sight with Kara's. She saw unfamiliar men engaging in conversation with her father. Their faces beamed with wide smiles, laughter filling the air. Their mouths moved animatedly, displaying rows of gleaming teeth.

"Who are these men? They're not villagers?" Sera inquired.

Grateful for the ceremony held the day before, Sera had taken the opportunity to carefully observe each villager. The men made it easier for her, as they incessantly cast admiring glances in her direction, treating her as if she were a precious diamond.

The elevated expectations stemmed from the fact that Sera was destined to be the savior of the village. Everyone relied on her to uphold the village's reputation.

However, the pressing question remained: who were these men?

"No, they're not. Genghis is here, Sera. You need to be ready as soon as possible. Uh, those are his brothers. Your soon-to-be in-laws. Now, now. Get ready, I have something to tell you afterward," Kara explained, avoiding direct eye contact and scanning the surroundings.

Sera silently nodded in response.

In a blink of an eye, Sera found herself donning a vibrant summer gown. The lace adorned the bodice, accentuating her slender figure.