Chapter 14

As Jett speeds off in his car, I look back at my dad with his jaw dropped, staring in horror at us being together. I see him begin to lay into my mom as he goes out of sight, and I feel like I'm going to be sick. Jett looks over in concern and places his hand on my thigh.

"Hey...it's going to be okay. We are going to be okay." He says, reassuringly, not knowing why I'm so upset.

"My...my dad just saw me get in your car. He saw us together," I say weakly.

"Oh. Oh shit...okay, but Cora, you're going to have to figure out a way to live with him knowing if you want to be with me. You know that, right?"

"Yeah...yeah I know. I just...I just wish there was a way for him to understand, but I think I'll be grounded. And I'm just not sure there's a way for us to be together," I say, desperately.

Jett pulls the car over to the nearby park.

"Come here," he says, and wraps me in his arms. "It's going to be okay...I promise."

I didn't think tears would come, but here they are.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry...I don't know what's wrong with me!"

"It's okay, Cora. I want to be here for you."

"What if my dad forbids me to see you? I can't expect you to wait around..."

"We'll see each other at school. We'll make it work."

"What about Brittany? You still haven't told me what happened. I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to..."

"Listen, Brittany and I were together for a long time. Too long. She triggers me like no other." I flinch a little at this comment. "I mean that in a very negative way, Cora. She knows my triggers and what sends me into an episode, but she does it anyway. She doesn't really care about me, she gets off on the drama, my family's money, and just the idea of us. The last straw was when she intentionally made a mockery of me at that last party. It just set me off...then she got behind the wheel and tried to drive home, drunk off her ass. I had to follow her and force her off the road so she'd let me take her home without fucking killing herself. I don't need that shit in my life. I deal with enough already...mostly of my own doing." His smile has an edge to it.

"Well, what if I'm more drama than you need, too? With my dad and everything..."

He tilts my chin up to look at him.

"If I'd known years ago that you would even consider entertaining the thought of us together, I would have made a move then. I choose you because I want to. I know it won't be easy, and it may not end well, but I have to try. You're worth it."

I smile and lean into him, and he kisses me tenderly.

"Clarkson, I'm the last one who thought a week after breaking up with my so-called girlfriend, I'd be falling for the sweetest, most attractive girl in school."

"What?" I laugh dismissively. "You don't actually believe that, do you?"

"I do. Every guy does. They don't think they have a chance with you though, and that's exactly how I like it."

Before I can protest, he leans in and claims my mouth again, this time a little less sweet...more demanding.

I'm distracted by the sound of my phone ringing. I pick it up and look, but I already know it's my dad.