The Song

She sat in the center of a small cave, a place impossible to find if you didn't know where to look. Tears splashed down her face, and she drew shaky breaths. Her pale blue hair flowed to her feet. The tears travelled onto the floor, then out the cave, into a river. The emperor had kept her here, after all these years. Her tears filled the river below. Her sadness, her madness, her suffering. That's what kept these people alive.

Monsters. They were monsters.

She looked up at the sky, which was bright blue. A flower had sprung on the floor of the cave. Her tears fell onto it, and it grew larger, and larger, into a young tree sapling. But it didn't matter. No matter how much life she harvested here, the people would always come again, and take it away. Kill it. She could hear the young tree's feelings, and cried harder for its death.

She drew a shaky breath. It was time.

Once a year, she went as far as her chains would allow her to go, and sang as loud as she could. Praying for help in a language only her people could understand, the language only the people who understood her.

It would be useless. How long had she been trapped here? A thousand, maybe ten thousand, years?

But she had to try.