.076

To Remember

The Moon Pillar's eyes slowly fluttered open, her spinning head causing her to squint as she struggled to sit up. Looking around, she realized that she was once again in the middle of the forest.

Emi wasn't sure how she landed without gaining any further injuries, and she couldn't even remember the moments before she lost consciousness. All she knew, was that she had to get up and get back to the others.

But, when she stood up, her legs immediately gave way and she crumpled back down to the ground with a pitiful groan. Her world swayed, stomach lurching before she doubled over and involuntary threw up.

After a long moment of expelling the contents of her dinner, maybe even lunch too, she sat there. Struggling to take in deep breaths.

"This is fucking stupid." She huffed, raising her hand to wipe at the edges of her mouth and crawling away from the pile of vomit. But even as she shuffled away, she was reminded of the injury in her leg. A loud string of curses escaped her mouth, and she looked down to observe the wound.

Just the sight of it nearly made her throw up once again. Emi choked down the feeling, looking away with involuntary tears in her eyes.

But, once a few tears started, they wouldn't stop.

Emi slumped over, crying into her hands as she was suddenly overwhelmed by all that was happening. She was alone, in a great deal of pain, and honestly... she just wished Kyojuro was here. She wanted nothing more than to see him, to hear his voice and whatever reassurance he would provide so that she would keep going.

"Get up."

Emi sniffled, swiping at her tears with the back of her hands. "I can't, it hurts too much." She answered without thinking.

"Don't be so weak." The voice spoke again, and it was only at the insult that she froze. "You are a Hashira, aren't you? Besides, you've been through worse than this, so get up!"

She slowly looked up, tear filled eyes trailing upward to see a figure only a few feet away. She couldn't see their face clearly, not with the tears blurring her vision as well as the clouds covering the moon making it a tad too dark.

But after a moment, the sky cleared, clouds moving away so that the moon shined down like a spotlight.

Emi's mouth opened and closed, her voice failing her as she could barely even believe her eyes. "I... I'm going crazy..." she whispered.

But the boy heard her all the same, and he stepped a bit closer while placing his hands on his hips. "You've been crazy for a long time, Kasumi. It's why you've made it this far."

Emi remained silent, taking in the boy's features. Beautiful misty green eyes, long dark hair with a tinge of blue at the ends. He was wearing a sleeveless black yukata, which had a wispy greenish blue pattern across the fabric.

He looked identical to Muichiro.

But, he was noticeably a bit younger, and she only now realized that his figure was weak. As if he was there, but not really.

"Yuichiro?" Emi finally dared to ask.

Their eyes met.

Emi didn't need him to answer, because she already knew. It was her brother.

"I know that you're in pain, I know that you feel alone." The apparition spoke, after all... that's what he was. Wasn't it?

Emi finally had the confirmation that she feared for. Yuichiro was dead. It must have been a few years ago, considering this ghost before her looked younger than his living twin brother. But she was sure, despite not wanting to be, that the boy was merely an apparition.