Chapter 13

Kate's thumbs hovered over the Wyr app, debating whether she wanted to text Courtney or wait. She was afraid Courtney would give her a dose of reality that might burst the happy bubble that had been swelling in her chest since that first kiss last night. She imagined the conversation in her head, and imagined Courtney saying, Okay, but what will she say when you tell her? At least Shauna was off today. Shauna could always tell when Kate's mood was off or just different, and she would get the secret out of her if they were working side-by-side.

Kate shoved her phone in her pocket as the train ground to a halt. She knew she was going to have to continue the conversation that had been cut off, to be honest with Lucy. She just didn't want to rush this particular confession and then rush out the door. Tonight, she thought. It might make things messy.

She followed the throng of commuters and tourists exiting the train, keeping her head on a swivel and observing her surroundings. After finding a dead body yesterday, it would be silly to let herself get swept up in memories of Lucy in her bed and forget to be vigilant. That caution was why she saw him: the blond man with the crooked nose. It was the man who had been following her.

Kate reached into her purse for the keys to her apartment, getting them ready between her fingers. Something was off. He wasn't following her at a distance. He was approaching her. He caught up to her at the foot of the escalator out of the station.

"Stay back or I'll scream," she said firmly, though she wasn't sure if the people of Boston would help her or just film it for the likes.

"I'm not gonna hurt ya," he said, his Boston accent thick—he said "not" like "naht."

Kate didn't take him at his word. She took a step back as he held up his hands to show he was unarmed. He wasn't as big as Chris had been, but he was still a lot bigger than her, and Kate didn't take his empty hands as much comfort. "You've been following me."

"Listen, Mrs. Capuano—"

"Are you a cop?"

He laughed at that. "No fuckin' way."

Kate wasn't sure if that comforted her or not. The police weren't exactly her favorite people. Someone bumped her shoulder and told her to get out of the way. She wasn't moving any closer to the man who had been stalking her. Running away was an option, but one that left her without answers.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, I swear on my mother," he said, making the sign of the cross. "I'm a friend of Chris."

She had never seen this man before Chris's murder, but she knew that didn't mean much. She'd never seen Lucy either or that Cole guy. "Friend of Chris," she repeated.

He held out his hand and shifted it in a way that suggested he was approximating, "Friendly business associate. I got a daughter your age. Must be hard, huh? Paying the bills with your husband gone?"

"I don't think you understand just how much a radiologist makes," Kate said. Chris was not the breadwinner by any means.

"Well still, with the investigation, I got a feeling life insurance is being held up."

Business associate. She remembered the transactions in Chris's account. This guy was where the money was coming from. There was a name associated too. An Irish name. She would bet anything this good Irish Catholic boy was the same Fitzroy. Kate stayed still, listening, keys still ready.

"Chris did some freelance for me," he explained. "And he was near a deadline on a project. If you find a thumb drive in his things and bring it to me, I can make sure we get you that last payment." He reached into his pocket. Kate watched him carefully but knew he probably wouldn't draw a weapon in broad daylight in the middle of the T station. Probably. He pulled out a card and held it out.