Chapter 10

Lucy and Kate took the train back to Kate's apartment to regroup. Kate spent half an hour on the phone with her lawyer, explaining what they'd found, including the man who had been following them, while Lucy dug through the files from the iPad and found Chris's contacts. She pulled up Andy Lin's address.

Vic texted her while she was waiting for Kate.

Vic on 2/24 at 1:08 pm: Hey you're coming to dinner, right?

Me on 2/24 at 1:08 pm: Should be back in Providence by then.

Vic on 2/24 at 1:08 pm: Where are you?

Me on 2/24 at 1:08 pm: Boston. Kate and I found out who was blackmailing Chris.

Vic on 2/24 at 1:09 pm: You're with Kate? BLACKMAIL?

Me on 2/24 at 1:09 pm: We're being safe.

Vic on 2/24 at 1:011 pm: You know being besties with your fiance's wife isn't normal, right?

Lucy didn't answer that. When Kate was off the phone, they took off again. Andy owned a home in Boston in a rundown area of the city. They took Kate's car rather than walk from the train station. When they had parked across from the little yellow house with a steep roof sandwiched between two other houses, Kate reached across Lucy to get something out of the glove box.

"What's that?" Lucy asked.

"Pepper spray, just in case he is the killer," she said.

Chris had been at work when he'd died, and Andy had been blackmailing him. Maybe Chris saw evidence Andy was the one who'd been extorting him and they'd fought. Lucy thought it was a stretch, but it was better safe than sorry.

Lucy thought they should agree on a strategy before going in, so she stayed put. "So, do we want to ask him about the blackmail or just play dumb? Maybe act like we don't know about the blackmail, ask if he knew, like we did with Cole."

"It might put him at ease," Kate said, nodding to Lucy's idea, "and keep us safe if he is involved in the whole..." she trailed off for a moment before making a short pushing gesture and cartoonish quiet scream.

"Yeah, the whole," Lucy mimicked her, "thing."

They each took a big, slow breath before Kate opened her car door and Lucy followed. They walked past the white picket fence and muddy snowbanks and knocked on the front door. The lights were off in the house's front, and Lucy leaned her forehead on the glass of the window in the front door to block the reflected light so she could see better. It didn't appear anyone was home. They pressed the doorbell again and then knocked in case it didn't ring through the entire house. Nada.

"It is the middle of the workday on a Tuesday," Kate said, checking her watch.

"Are you on tonight?"

"I did a half shift this morning," Kate said. That made sense. She was in dress slacks and a maroon button-down blouse. That didn't exactly seem like her weekend wear. "It was my gift for taking a double Sunday. Should we try again later?"

Lucy checked her own phone. She shook her head, "Can't. Gotta get a train back tonight. Family dinner. It's been a while since we had one."

"Oh, okay, cool. Well, come on." Kate started back to her car. Lucy watched her hair swish behind her. Her stride was powerful, with just the slightest feminine sway of her hips. Like Wonder Woman. Lucy ran behind to catch up.