𝒆𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆.

epilogue.
─── second chance

                    FINLEY'S hands were covered from the paint, and she shivered as the cold breeze blew

                    FINLEY'S hands were covered from the paint, and she shivered as the cold breeze blew. "come on, pick up the phone," she gritted through her teeth.

"hey, babe. everything okay?" her husband asked as he answered the phone.

"yeah, i just need some more paint to finish the mural." she packed her things up, walking towards the cabin.

"okay. i'll pick some up when i go to get more lights for the amphitheater." he told her.

the girl nodded, although he couldn't see her, "thanks, eej." she hung up the phone, sighing as she put her things down.

walking out of the cabin, she sat on the front steps, admiring the camp. a few years after her and ej got married, dewey decided to retire from running camp shallow lake. since he had no other family that wanted to take it over, he asked ej if he would like to be the director.

the boy was honored that dewey would think that he was suitable for the job, and he happily accepted.

finley thought about all the memories she and ej had created at shallow lake over the past 8 years, from being campers, working as staff, and now being the directors.

ej pulled up to the camp, parking his truck behind the cabin, before greeting his wife. "fin, what're you doing out here? it's cold." he sat down, grabbing a nearby blanket and wrapping it around her.

"just thinking about what my life would have been like if i never agreed to come to camp."

"i still can't believe you almost got arrested." he laughed, shaking his head.

"hey, we don't talk about that. i was a bad kid." she raised her brow, pointing at him. he held his hands up in defense as the girl smiled, leaning on his shoulder.

the couple sat in comfortable silence for a few moments. "you know.. i never imagined that i could have this kind of life. an amazing husband, a dad who loves me, a group of friends that i still keep in touch with, and a job that i love."

"me either. i thought i would be a duke graduate, and a board member of the caswell success school by now. thank God that didn't happen." ej laughed.

"eej?" he pulled away, so he could look at her.

"hm?"

"random question, but who actually chose me to play elsa my first year?" she asked.

"uh, i may or may not have bribed val into changing the cast list." he told her, making her gasp

"look, before you get mad at me, when i heard you sing, i couldn't imagine anyone else playing that part but you... and it was more believable to have you and ashlyn play sisters than her and gina."

"elton john caswell!" she hit his arm, "i can't believe you did that!"

"i wanted to give someone else a chance for once. gina has had plenty of opportunities to be the lead." he shrugged.

"honestly, i'm just glad that i got casted period. i was planning on staying in the cabin until i got in trouble and got sent home."

"and miss getting to meet me?" he put his hand over his heart.

"shut up." she rolled her eyes.

looking into her husbands eyes, she was brought back to their first year of camp, when her whole life changed for the better. then, she got an idea.

"why are you looking at me like that?"

"ej caswell, would you like to dance?" she stood up, holding her hand out.

he laughed, "seriously?" finley shrugged, keeping her hand out.

grabbing it, he stood up. "there's no music, fin."

"that's okay. i just want to see if gina's lessons actually paid off." she put her arms around his neck as he held his hand on her hip. laying her head on ej's chest, she sighed contently as they danced together.

if you were to ask finley 8 years ago if she believed that people deserved second chances, she would tell you "no," because everyone in her life who had only been given one chance had ruined it, and she refused to let herself be hurt again.

but now, she thinks differently. she believes second chances are an opportunity to reset. something that produces new beginnings, which is something everyone should be given.

if you asked her to do it all over again, she would...and she wouldn't change a thing.